Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does every seaview hotel in Nice have a bad review? 4 Points Sheraton-yuck!

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We FINALLY were all set to stay at the Four Points Sheraton Sept 21-29, right (or so we thought) on the Promenade de Anglais in Nice (sea view)... until someone on here was nice enough to give us the France.com website and we saw these reviews:

"This hotel does not sit on the Promenade as detailed in the materials. It is a block away. The rooms that have a sea view do so by crooking the neck and the windows do not open. Those rooms seemed claustrophobic. The non-sea view rooms look out on to an ugly tenement. The halls smelled of mildew. The housekeeping staff did not vacuum the room during the stay. The front desk and concierge staff were very nice and most helpful. The grounds, however, were unkempt. The restaurant was unattended. I would not return to this hotel." Ughhhh

~and another one: Jun 6, 2001~
"We were very disappointed with the Elysee-Palace. It was to be our "splurge" hotel, and turned out to be anything but. The a/c didn't work at all, the King bed was really two singles put together, and they didn't fit well at all (huge "bump" between the two). The worst, however, was that they were doing some sort of construction on the hotel and it was making a terrible "jackhammerish" racket very early in the morning. When we asked about it, they told us it was from people walking around the pool area (on the roof). When we insisted that was not true, they confessed of the construction and promised it would not happen again. Well, it did the next morning, only earlier this time. We were very unhappy and they didn't even do so much as to apologize. If you're going to Nice, skip this hotel. You can probably find a much nicer and less expensive 3 star hotel." ouch!

Of course, there was this review... too, but I'd probably tend to believe the other 2 reviewers experiences:

~Jun 6, 2001
"Enjoyed the GP weekend - Hotel was good value - roof top pool and bar great for relaxing. Rooms cool and well serviced -we would go back."

We looked into Le Meridien Nice too, but there are some positive, AND really negative reviews. Some were like: "We checked in, saw the room, and checked right out! The rooms were horrible" Huh? At a Le Meridien? Some said they loved it! Some said the "sea view" was that if you craned your neck you'd get a glimpse! Who can you believe?

The Best Western West End Nice seemed great too, till we checked their rates and they are high (over $270 per night), as well as a review that said the rooms were "dilapidated". We checked out the highly touted Nice Le Perouse, and these rooms are WAY over our budget (...

After a bit of back and forth with the Le Meridien-Nice, they sent this email:

Dear Mr Robinson,
The best rate We can propose you is 270 euros for a deluxe room with sea and garden view per night included buffet breakfast and tax. Or we can propose you superior room with city and a small view on the sea at the rate of 230 euros included tax and buffet breakfast.
Please let us know.
Best regards,

I wonder what a "small view" means - in hotel talk, to me, that sounds like NO view unless you crane your neck at some impossible angle. Should we just go with the 230 euro rate for their superior room with the "small view" and call it a day? Gosh that's a lot of money for a room, but if that's what it takes to get a really special room in Nice, we're there! It's still ALOT cheaper than the Negresco.

Why does this have to be so hard? Gosh, we just wanted a 4 star hotel (or a super nice 3 star) with a nice comfortable room, really nice furnishings, sea view, balcony and a decent price (under $250 a night, preferably closer to $220 ... or less!).

We must have picked the worst time of year to go! I checked out the Prima Suisse Hotel(sp?) too that some of you recommended but reviews on the net said the rooms were kind of run down and shabby or ugly inside but the view was awesome. My wife will NOT be happy with me if I end our trip in a dumpy room after doing Hotel de Europe in Avignon and a 4 star in Paris.

Thoughts? Are we too picky? It's the beach, are we expecting too much? Is there a mysterious hotel on the seaside in Nice we are forgetting about?

Steve
USA

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Intrepid

I don't think you're being too picky...I'd go for whatever I could get. One word of caution: if you're expecting white sand beaches a la OC or Rehoboth forget it right now..get ready for small, well-polished rocks! Hope it works out.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at Fodors Rants & Raves for Nice? There are at least 4 hotels listed in Nice with scores ranging from 3.4-4.1 our of 5. None are affiliated with American chains.

Try tripadvisor.com for more hotel feedback, or take a look at various guidebook recommendations.

See also: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/nice/

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed at La Perouse and really enjoyed it. Right next door to it is the Prima Suisse hotel, and yes, it is a bit rundown, but you do get a great view from many of the rooms, and they are at least clean. I'd go for the Suisse if the Perouse is too much. At the prices you are being quoted, there's almost nothing else on the sea. Good Luck.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:54 PM
MGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have to stay in Nice? We have stayed in Villefranche sur Mer, about a 5 minute bus ride east of Nice. We stay at the La Flore where we had 2 rooms with a shared bath and a terrace over looking the sea and the light house out by cap ferrat. It is higher up, so you are not on the beach. The Versailles is also next door with views. I think they are under 200 euros a night. There is also the Welcome right on the harbor nearer the beach. They are 3 star hotels, I know La Flore has a nice restaurant and a pool.
www.hotel-la-flore.fr
http://www.hotelversailles.com/
http://www.welcomehotel.com/anglais/

Regards, Mary Ann
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Mary Anne! Yes, we DO want to stay in Nice as my wife takes a nap every day and I want to be able to walk out of the hotel and boogie on over to someplace interesting for an hour or 2. Plus, we want to be able to walk to stuff in Nice.

I'll still check out the websites you listed.

Peace,
Steve
USA
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As suggested many times on this forum, look at the Westminster. Seaview, on the Promenade, 148 Euros a night, Sept 13th & 14th. Call toll free number for better rate than internet. Try www.concordehotels.com choose Nice. Have a look.