Does a red terror alert close airports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While reading an article in USA Today weekend on cancellation policies offered by some travel suppliers to include war breaking out or the travel alert moving to red, I wasn't sure what impact that would have if already out of the country. What would happen in a red alert? Would airports be closed? Does anyone know? I can't find any information on it so far. Thanks. Jane
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:20 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the color warning system only exists in the US. European countries do not use this system. Whether an airport in Europe would be closed in the event of a war is up to the individual airport authority and/or local government. They may have similar code systems in effect, but you probably won't find anything published. You might check the websites for the particular airports in Europe you will be flying into or out of.<BR><BR>The best thing to do is to find out the names of the travel suppliers offering the policies and carefully read their conditions for payment and whether they are even offered for non-US travel.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Actually I was wondering if it would make it difficult to fly back into the US from overseas. Just not sure but will keep checking.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:33 AM

color coding systems ... they don't mean anything specific, it's PR and the way US govt likes to play around with telling people to tape windows with duct tape to save themselves from war. There are no standard rules, they don't mean anything specific, it's just a qualitative sign. Nothing is going to happen automatically, they'll do what they think best. That can mean closing some airports and not others, etc. <BR><BR>This sytem is described on the newly-created Dept of Homeland Security's web site. You can read it there, we are all paying through the nose for this: <BR>http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/homeland/<BR><BR>(as a matter of fact, other countries do use the term &quot;red alert&quot;, here's a red alert in Yugoslavia description:<BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/302488.stm<BR><BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Lola

I believe that in NYC they would/could close all bridges and tunnels, so that would most likely close airports. <BR>If there were a red alert, I think I would not be wanting to go to the airport anyway!

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:03 AM
DAJ

I went to the link that Christina was nice enough to provide and finally found the descriptions for each of the color coded conditions. Here is a copy &amp; past of the description for the condition red that was asked about: <BR><BR><BR>Severe Condition (Red). A Severe Condition reflects a severe risk of terrorist attacks. Under most circumstances, the Protective Measures for a Severe Condition are not intended to be sustained for substantial periods of time. In addition to the Protective Measures in the previous Threat Conditions, Federal departments and agencies also should consider the following general measures in addition to the agency-specific Protective Measures that they will develop and implement: <BR><BR>Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency needs; <BR>Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning and mobilizing specially trained teams or resources; <BR>Monitoring, redirecting, or constraining transportation systems; and <BR>Closing public and government facilities. <BR><BR>Since an airport is a public facility, it is very possible/probable that one would be closed. I for one do not believe this is &quot;PR and the way US govt likes to play around&quot;. It is so easy for people to be side chair quarterbacks.<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Gino

jane00,<BR>As the old saying goes: stop and smell the roses!<BR>It has been routine for us to encounter the Nice airport closed for suspected terroism. Really don't worry, you have a better change to win the Lottery.

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I read in the Wall Street Journal that the terrorist risk would be raised to red if there was an attack in progress. The airports might close or might stay open depending on the attack.<BR><BR>For example, if truck bombs started going off, I think the airports would stay open but that there would be delays because of checks. If there were some sort of terrorism against airplanes, the airports might close.<BR><BR>Essentially, there will be only 2 colored warnings in the next 10 years, yellow and orange. It will never be blue or green and it will be red only in extreme circumstances. The color is not too important for the average person because they will know mayhem is taking place without waiting for the announcement that it's red.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:02 AM
DAJ

Derek,<BR>I hope you are correct that in the next 10 years the US will only ever experience yellow &amp; orange warnings and not red. How wonderful to have such confidence that this level will not be used.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Isn't our country flourishing under Bush? I now know how to say ...&quot;I did not vote for Bush&quot; in Italian, German, and French. I will not be a lightening rod nor whipping boy for my country while abroad. Thanks bully boy Bush. Tim
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:24 AM
DAJ

MiteMsispe,<BR><BR>And your point is?