Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

do you know...Santa Maria Maggiore area..Rome?

Jan 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I am just about ready to book our accomodation at a apt. in Martino ai Monti area near the Santa Maria Maggiore. I am reading mixed reviews of the area. My main concern is for my daughters (21&19)safety, they of course will want to be out at night. The Navona area is too pricey, at least what I've looked at. We are a family of 5 so the apartment is the way to go. Can you tell me anything about this area I am looking at? It is suppose to be close to the Forum (10min. walk) Thanks
Jan 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM

We stayed near the Santa Maria Maggiore in Oct last and it seemed fine. It's a mixed neighbourhood of apartments, restaurants and shops. It is only 10 min to the Forum and Colosseum so very close to main sights. Do take time to visit San Presede church down a small side street off the S. Maria Maggiore square. It has beautiful mosaics- quite magical.
Jan 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM

This is central Rome's seediest area nowadays, particularly between S. Maria Maggiore and the Forum/Colosseum. I don't say it's literally dangerous, but I feel uncomfortable there even in plain daylight, and I'm male and considerably older than your daughters. Personally, I wouldn't take an apartment there. Again, nobody needs worry to be mugged, but the area is poor, run-down, and full of homeless, drunkards and other strange people making it less than welcoming. Of course, compared to certain American cities, it may still feel cozy and like a safe heaven.
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Franco for that honest answer, could you please recommend an area I should be concentrating my search for a 4 night stay. What about the Trastevere district.
Your help is appreciated
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM

How much are you looking to spend? Actually, you can find some decent deals in the Navonna area.

Click on my name and you'll see 2 reviews I did on apartments we rented over Christmas in Piazza Montevecchio, about 200 meters from Navonna.

dave
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Trastevere is what I keep always recommending to the extent that many people here on Fodor's will already be tired of reading it, I guess. Look here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34792021
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Im trying to stay around 200 e. per night. I just found the site for sleepinitaly. I've just sent off a few inquiries. I will look at your threads right now. Thanks alot
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM

200 Euros a night for 5 is a perfectly adequate amount. You won't get ultra-luxurious accommodation but you certainly do not need to accept a dodgy neighbourhood.

Just my view.
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM

I loved the Hotel Modigliani on my last trip to Rome.
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM

We have stayed and visited in this area - you are not too specific about exactly where - in general its very attractive with some seedy bits but nothing too bad at all. Romans actually live in Monti, so there are shops and real people about - I would recommend it in general and not be apprehensive. If you are comfortable in the central parts of American cities, you and your daughters will be fine.
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

The agency B&B in Rome has not given me the exact address. Apparently, you have to pay the deposit and they tell you the address. I just don't undertand why the conflicting reviews of the area?
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM

On our most recent trip we (family of 5) stayed in this apartment in Caelio, a couple blocks from the Colosseum.

It was a lovely area and extremely convenient. Apartment was spacious and had everything we needed.

http://www.vrbo.com/86246
Jan 18th, 2008, 03:51 AM

To Anabelle,

I have heard of several agencies that will not give an exact address of a property prior to giving a deposit. To me, I would NEVER do business with that outfit.

I don't just want the street, I want the exact address.

dave
Jan 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Anabelle: there are conflicting reports on the neighborhood because everyone interprets things differently. For example: I just found out that the reason a couple I know who have never visited my home (in Indianapolis) is that they figure they'll be mugged as soon as they leave their car. What to me is a vibrant city neighborhood (never been mugged or robbed BTW) is to them a threatening environment. I think the area around Santa Maria Maggiore is fine, though it not a wealthy neighborhood and expect a fair amount of graffitti. Others find it dodgy, seedy, and unsafe. The best advice I can give is how would you feel about staying in a comparable neighborhood at home?
Jan 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM

There are a few pix of the Monti neighborhood on this rental site - Id say the pix do not capture the charm of the neighborhood.

My daughters liked this neiborhood as teenagers - there were quite a number of clothing stores up on Via Panisperna, some quite chic, which they persuaded me to shop in. The house we rented in was ancient - its one of the oldest areas of Rome, Suburra, with many medieval remains as you go down toward Trajan's forum.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM

That appears to be a great site for information that jjkbrook posted. But beware of renting an apartment from the owner of the site - Roman Homes and Dr. Mauro Abate. Do a search for "rudest rental agency in Rome" for some recent comments on dealing with the owner.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM

just to be clear - I was just posting for the neighborhood info - not to recommend the rental agency.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:47 PM

We will be in Rome in May and I have book a room in a Monastery - www.monasterystays.com. Under 100 euros per night, so cheap and cheerful, breakfast is included. Hope nobody has had a bad experience! The one I have booked is near the Vatican, but they are all over Rome.Some were really nasty looking 1970's construction, so I kept looking until I found something older and with some charm. An 11pm curfew (LOL) might be a problem for your daughters. I know that I am tucked up in bed by then after walking all day.
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Check out Fellini B&B. The area is excellent within walking distance to everything. They have apartments that should accomodate 5. We stayed there a few years ago and loved the location!

http://www.fellinibnb.com/dove_en.asp