Easter services at Westminster Abbey

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter services at Westminster Abbey

Has anyone ever attended Easter Services at Westminster Abbey? I would like to attend with a friend and her two grandchildren. Will it be easy to get in?

Any advice or suggestions?

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Why do you think it would be a problem?

Few people in Britain attend services - and those that do go go to their local church, mosque or temple. Most of London's away at Easter anyway, and practically none of the tourists who take up some of the space they leave behind are Anglican. Even for Anglicans, the Abbey's not the local cathedral.

Services at the Abbey are full only when they're for some special - usually civil - service, like someone's State funeral or the annual service of some worthy body. Check the Abbey's website from about the beginmning of Lent to see if there's anything of the sort planned for Easter Sunday. There certainly won't be for Good Friday, and they'll be delighted to see you.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM

We attended the Easter morning sung Eucharist at Westminster Abbey a few years ago and were extremely impressed. Although we arrived about half an hour before the service was scheduled to start, when we got off the tube and rounded the corner to the Abbey the line to enter was so long we almost turned back. But the line moved swiftly and -- although the church was crowded -- the ushers were very welcoming and found us seats. We saw many families with children. We did, however, also see the ushers turn away several people with huge backpacks. By the time the service started, there were many people standing in the back and the aisles.
The service itself was beautiful with gorgeous music from the choirs, organist and trumpeters; a fine, brief sermon, and only one collection. When the service was over, the celebrants stood on the abbey steps and greeted all the congregants.
If you decide not to brave the crowds, the BBC usually broadcasts Easter Morning services from one of the great cathedrals.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM

I have never attended on Easter, but I have on other Sundays when I have been in Britain. It is a wonderful service and you really get the feeling of being a part of things. We have been seated along the side that you see in pictures when there is a Royal occasion, close to the Queens "box". It is a wonderful way to experience history,do not plan on seeing the rest of Westminster Abbey on that day, it is closed.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your experiences and observations.

In the US, Easter Services are often filled to over flowing so I was concerned about crowds. I will be sure to arrive early.