Churches before Easter (Lent)

Mar 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Churches before Easter (Lent)

I will be in Paris before and after Easter. In my home town, the churches drape their statues in purple during Lent. Is that also the case in Paris churches and cathedrals, and should I therefore put off my visits until after Easter? Thanks.
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM

I went to mass at St. Suplice and was in the Basilica St-Denis 3 weeks ago [sigh] and while the altar and podium/lecturne were draped with purple, the statues were not.

As a practising American Catholic I think that is considered 'old school' and not done any longer. lynda
Mar 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Ye gods and goblins, this is reaching back for me, but isn't it only the week before Easter when statues are draped?
Mar 25th, 2007, 10:50 PM

If Seamus had gone to Mass yesterday instead of hanging round internet chat rooms, he'd have seen that statues were draped in purple - yesterday being the start of Passiontide.

Statues are not ordinarily shrounded through the whole of Lent: merely from Passion Sunday till their uncovering during the Easter Vigil liturgy on Holy Saturday night. What lyndash saw was something quite different: altars and lecterns carrying the liturgical colour of the day, which they do throughout the year.

likeswords will find most Paris churches have some of their statues shrouded: it's just not practical in many medieval churches to shroud them all, and the specifics vary widely from church to church. External statues - the glory of many Romanesque and Gothic churches - are practically never shrouded.

I can't see why this would stop you from visiting. Obviously if seeing the statues matters, then wait till after Easter.
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I didn't realize that the draping of statues was not standard; in the two parishes where I have attended church, I seem to recall that the statues have always been draped throughout Lent. I have always found it effective in reminding me of the solemnity of the season, and as a tiny sacrifice of not having the pleasure of seeing the statues. But since I probably won't be able to revisit the churches/cathedrals of France again any time soon, I'll probably wait until after Easter since I do enjoy seeing the statues (thought if it's a choice between going before Easter and not going at all, I'll go). Again, thanks to all!
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Wow, what good and knowledgeable Catholics you all are ! (Flanner, I'm impressed - but not surprised).

At our local suburban church, we don't have many statues (more stained glass) except for the huge ones high up in the front which will only be covered in black or purple from Palm Sunday on. Otherwise the Lenten colours are draped everywhere else.

Just found out that I'm to have my feet washed on Holy Thursday by default (better get that case of Athletes Foot looked at in a hurry !) and I'm doing the first reading on Good Friday.