Would you stayed in Trastevere?

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
SHADRACH

Would you stayed in Trastevere?

Hi!

I had a problem with my convent reservation in Campo Marzio (near Piazza Navona), and now I have to look up another place to stay in September. I found this other convent located in Trastevere (I've read that the part of Trastevere where it's located is really quiet), but I am not sure whether this is a nice area to stay or not.

Is it a good idea to stay in Trastevere or should I look up another place in another area?

Thanks everybody for your opinion!

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
our original booking was for Trastevere but we got switched to another better apartment near the Forum. Although I enjoyed our half day wandering round t'vere, I was quite glad we weren't staying there, as it was quite along way from the other places we wanted to see. Also bits of it were frankly rough; others were very charming and there were lots of proper shops and Romans [as there were where we stayed]. Wherever you stay, don't miss St. Cecilia's in T'evere as the chapel in the crypt was one of the best things we saw. Given the distances you'll be walking, I'd try to get somewhere as central as possible.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest that you do not stay in Trastevere and, instead, find a place somewhere around Centro Storico, i.e., near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona. Transtevere is just too far removed, IMO, but is an interesting area to visit for a few hours.

Anna Roz
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Where exactly in Trastevere is the convent?

I stayed in Trastevere a number of years ago, close to Santa Maria in Trastevere, and didn't find the location inconvenient in the least. I should tell you that I was in my 20s then, I am accustomed to and enjoy walking, and don't have bad knees, etc. I'd stay there again.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM

DH and I staye din Trastavere a month ago and we found it very charming and not too far away from anything we wanted to see. We loved the neighborhood!
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Trastevere covers a bit of territory, and part of it is hilly. However, a location close to the river and the tram line (along Viale Trastevere) is convenient for walking or public transit to Centro Storico and the rest of Rome.
Still, I'd recommend Campo Marzo over Trastevere for a first time visitor to Rome.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere in September. Although definitely an acquired taste, Trastevere was a great base for us. As for distances, after traversing hill towns for a couple of weeks, I found Rome pretty easy to navigate by foot.

Trastevere to Vatican - 30 minutes
Trastevere to Campo de Fiori and Campo Navona were easy walks - 15 - 25 minutes
Trastevere to Coloseum - 50 minutes

We even walked back from the Galleria Borghese through the gardens, down to the Spanish Steps, over to the Trevi Fountain, on to the Pantheon to afternoon drinks in Campo Fiore, and then back to our hotel....nothing but net.

Every once in a while we took a cab or the subway, but mostly it was walking, walking and a little more walking.

By the way, three of us are in our early 50s and one in their mid 40s. We lived to tell about it. If you're infirm or don't like walking, it might be a pain to stay in Trastevere, otherwise it's a piece of cake (or, in our case, a piece of tiramisu).

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
SHADRACH

Thanks everybody for your opinions! I am still waiting an answer from the convent in Campo Marzio. If I don't get a positive answer (I hope I do), I guess I'll stay in Trastevere.

Thanks again for sharing your points of view!

Old May 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM
SHADRACH

Well, both the convent in Campo Marzio and Trastevere are full.

I got what seems to be a nice one near Piazza Spagna.

Thanks everybody anyway for your comments!