Search

Rome: Disabled-friendly neighborhood?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: Disabled-friendly neighborhood?

(Reposting with clearer title)

So, a strange question. Can anyone think of a nice neighborhood in central Rome that's ... flat?

Will be there 2 days this month with our young son who uses a walker ... very different criteria for choosing a location than our pre-child trip to Rome (where we stayed just off Campo de Fiori).

Unfortunately, while I have many memories of Rome, none have to do with which areas might be more flat in this city of seven hills!

We're not likely to visit any touristy sites with urgency (so we want central but not near anything in particular); more like wandering around & going where the mood strikes. (We do also have his stroller with us, so can put him in that when there's a big hill. He does fine on cobblestones.)

Near a Piazza (smaller than Navona) might be a nice idea so that we could sit in a cafe and he could run around ... now if only we could find some helium balloons so we can keep our eyes on him ...
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM

How about Campo dei Fiori? Smaller square then Piazza Navona, yet still centralized. It can get crowded when the market is open, however.

Another suggestion might be near the Pantheon, perhaps around the area of St. Eustache where there is a small, uncrowded square.

I honestly found the majority of the old city center to be flat.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:35 AM

I see now that you have already stayed near Campo dei Fiori. I visited Rome with my mother who used a walker within the city center and she honestly didn't have any problem anywhere. So, I would think just about anywhere within the historical center would be flat enough for you.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM

The area around Campo di Fiore/Navonna/Pantheon is very flat. For the Jubilee Year of 2000, some of the cobblestone walkways were replaced with a smooth sidewalk. I think Campo di Fiore is too crowded to let your son run around but the neighboring Piazza Farnese is almost deserted all day, has no car traffic and has several quiet cafes where you can sit. There are a few places to stay on that Piazza, including the Residence Farnese and Casa Santa Brigida.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM

The Piazza Farnese would be perfect. We were there in October and it sounds just like what you want. We went to the Palazzo Farnese- you have to get a reservation to do that.

While we were waiting to see it, we sat on a bench in the Piazza and watched all the toddlers riding around on their trikes. It is a very peaceful place that is in easy walking distance of popular sight-seeing places. Casa Santa Brigida looked like a great place to stay. We love staying at convents- they are usually very child- friendly.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM

trastevere. flat, real neighborhood feel. lots of places to rent for reasonable prices. walking distance or public transport to nearly everywhere. the last reason is why we ruled out the area near borghese.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've stayed several times at the Hotel Fontanella Borghese which is straight down the (flat) Via Condotti from the Spanish Steps. I love the Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina which is just a block from the hotel. The piazza has a little bit of everything: a church, some restaurants, a police station, a farmacia, a newstand and a few upscale shops. There are many restaurants in the immediate area which is entirely flat.

If you consider the Fontanella Borghese, ask for a room on the reception floor. There is a spiral stairway to the rooms on the other floors. The hotel itself is in the upper floors of a large building, and there is an elevator from the entry level. www.fontanellaborghese.com