Delta from Vienna

Search

Delta from Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta from Vienna

FYI - Delta has stopped its service from Vienna to Atlanta this Fall. They also have chosen not to tell confirmed passengers. This seems to be a trend with many carriers on international flights these days. The fuel costs are driving the cuts and they are apparently not staffed to advise / re-book passengers. If you are holding seats on direct international flights it is wise to check the status regularly.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:05 AM

<...wise to check the status regularlly>

That's always good advice but worth emphasizing, and especially now. CO cancelled our DD's return flight from ATH in Dec (she's going in Sept to study for the fall semester). EWR-ATH is now seasonal. Still working on alternate arrangements.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Have you checked into DELTA and AIR FRANCE? We've flown both ATH-JFK, AIR FRANCE with a connection through CDG. However, I'm not sure that these operate every day in the fall/winter months.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM

AA canceled it's Chicago to Rome flight for the late autumn through early spring season. Last January, we booked tickets from Chicago O'Hare direct to Rome for late November. AA canceled the entire route and rebooked us through JFK... the best part was that they left us 35 minutes to make a connection there. I called and they refunded all the tickets without any issues... but the cheapest flights we could get that were even semi-direct were $300 more each on Lufthansa.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Clarification on my post - I know this doesn't relate to Vienna, but I wanted to mention it as further support for checking the status of your internaitonal flights daily! Seems like all the domestic carriers are slashing routes and not necessarily informing customers
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I can't recommend checking flight reservations enough. When we flew ORD to Dubrovnik in 06 we had a 4.5 hour layover in London that involved switching airports. About 3 months before our trip I happened to check our reservation only to find out that they shortened the layover to 2 hours, which obviously isn't enough time to layover and switch airports in London. I called and we had to arrive in London a day early and spend the night, but in the end we were happy that everything worked out and we were able to keep our itinerary in Dubrovnik. Had I not checked we could have ran into serious problems as the departure date approached. I always make a habit of reviewing my reservations weekly.

Good luck on rebooking your flights to Vienna!

Tracy
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM

weadles - if your question was directed to me, yes that's one of the options we're looking at, along with other CO partners such as KL through AMS and DL to JFK. Her ultimate destination is IAH so that complicates things a little. Thanks.