Deciphering French menus

Search

Deciphering French menus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciphering French menus

Some time ago I saw a Fodorite recommend a really good translation for French menus. Better than the index of any travel guide book.

Unfortunately, I did not bookmark that recommendation. Can anyone help? I really am not too adventursome i.e. calves brains, sweetbreads, pigeon, etc.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM

It could have been the Marling Menu-Master for France. I've used the series in other countries.
Here is one past thread with much info, including recs for Marling Menu Master:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pocketbook.cfm
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM

The one we use is Marling Menu-Master. A very small pocket size booklet.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM

If you can find it, the "What Kind of Food Am I?" for France is both excellent and witty. Also pocked-sized.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's easy enough to learn the words in French for fish, chicken, steak... whatever the things are you DO want to eat.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"f you can find it, the What Kind of Food Am I? for France is both excellent and witty."

Does Anthony Newley sing the audio version?

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM

I've used the MMM in the past, but find that a basic understanding, as suze says, for the type of food is just fine.

From there, a lot of what's said is the chef's interpretation.

You can probably pick up a copy at www.abebooks.com for next to nothing. Won't be new, but will be cheap.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM
kja

I found the (free, downloadable) Patricia Wells menu reader invaluable:

http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM

I totally agree with kja. Patricia Wells explains how each dish might be prepared differently - depending on where you are in France. She also tells you that the same fish might be called a different name in a different region in France.

Invaluable!!!

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Ask your garcon (waiter)! It's France, after all, you can't go wrong.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM

I am also a fan of the "Eating and Drinking in France/What kind of food am I?" books. they fit in my purse and I could figure out almsot anything on a menu. Maybe not exact translations but easy enough to figure out what kind meat or sauce is on the dish. I'm kind of fussy eater - I don't like tomatoes, mushrooms and some other common foods so I always carried one of these books around with me. I hated being surprised with a plate full of something I didn't care for!
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM

>> I hated being surprised with a plate full of something I didn't care for!<<

About 15 years ago, we went to a Michelin 2 star restaurant with our closest friends. The restaurant was on a lake and our male friend said that any fish in France is great and since we were next to a lake - the fish should be especially fresh. So he ordered what he thought was the local fish. They delivered a plate of raw calves liver to him.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:29 PM

If you have a smartphone, check into translation apps. We got WordLens for the iPhone for French. It translates written text into English and we plan to use it in restaurants amongst other things.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:35 PM
pdx

Ooh...so you can scan the menu and it will translate? That's a cool idea. I don't want to type the words in, but maybe I can surreptitiously wave my iphone over the menu.

In Italy I once ordered a red pepper dish and received a salted sardine. I wish I could remember what the word was that I mistook.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM

<<Ask your garcon (waiter)!>>

Oh PUHLEEZE!!! It's been decades since any right-thinking person referred to a French waiter as "garçon." It's as rude as calling a waiter "boy" in America. Just don't go there!
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:22 AM

StCirq is right on. Any place that refers to its staff as "garcon" is trying to fool the tourists.
French menus speak their own dialects and words change from bistrot to brasserie to starred restaurant at the whim of the chefs -- a rascally breed, those chefs. I've gone out with French friends who were as baffled by a menu entry as me (and I landed a plate of calves' brains too.) On the bright side, you're eating French food, so where better to at least try to enjoy anything that shows up on your table.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:28 AM

The worst of all possible worlds is going someplace that thinks they are doing you a favor by giving you an English menu that is a computer translation from the local language.

We had this happen in Rome and spent a long time trying to figure out what "spiky lettuce" meant until we got an Italian menu and learned that it meant escarole.

The other advice is that the French word for "menu" is "carte", and "menu" means something else. You may get a quizzical look or two if you ask for one when you mean something else.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:02 AM

Oh, I know what you mean, Ackislander. Those English menus are useless. I always ask for a menu in the local language -- to find out what they really meant.

Last trip to France I loaded a French gastronomic dictionary on my Kindle. Sat at the restaurant table menu in hand looking up stuff. The waiter was amused.

To the OP, in France a menu is a fixed price meal of more than one course, maybe with some options. Usually very good and a good deal.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
<i>They delivered a plate of raw calves liver to him.</i>

I am extremely intrigued by this dish because raw calf's liver is not eaten in France to my knowledge. Can you elaborate on this dish, Stu?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:53 AM

A translator will not work adequately for food menus--word to the wise. There are different usages, terms, etc. the Marling menu master is really good and well organized so you don't look like a dork trying to match up the wordings. Patricia Wells also has a glossary you can print off online.
I DID order liver in Avignon one time, and the menu wasn't translated, nor did our server speak English--and my French is spotty. He was VERY nice and concerned that I DID know I was ordering liver--interesting sign language explaining it!! And it was cooked!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -