Daytrip to Pompeii from Rome

Apr 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Daytrip to Pompeii from Rome

We are planning a day trip to Pompeii from Rome in early July via train. I would like to take the ES but heard there is a newer, faster train (1/5 hrs.). Any information on that? I was reading that we should take the train to Naples then switch over to go to Pompeii Scavi. We are thinking of going on a Sunday since many attractions are closed in Rome. Are the Ruins open daily? Are there restrictions into certain areas such as the baths (I heard that they only allow you in at certain times)? We also thought of spending a few hours at the runis then heading back to Naples for Pizza and the Archeology Museum. Is there enough time for this or is it rushing it to much? Any feedback and/or suggestions is appreciated. Should I book the train once in Rome or do this all ahead of time. We would like to travel by train in 1st class. Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM

There's some useful informatio in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34785131
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM

The ruins of Pompeii are much more vast and interesting than most people suspect. If possible, try to give them far more time than you are contemplating. But even if you can only make it as a daytrip, combining a trip to Pompeii with a visit to the archeological museum in Napoli is "rushing it too much."

Napoli itself is a wonderful destination, although there is a lot of visible poverty in Napoli that disturbs some people. That said, visiting Napoli's archeological museum and other is a special experience.
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM

We went last month on the ES*. We had enough time to visit both Pompeii and the Archeology Museum in one day.

Woody
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM
ira

Hi S,

There are frequent trains between Rome and Naples. I suggest buying your tickets the day before you go.

See www.trenitalia.com

Apr 10th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Neopolitan

It's interesting that you are going on Sunday because so many things are closed in Rome. Sunday is my favorite day in Rome. In addition to seeing more locals out and about -- dressed up with the family and going out to eat, it is the only day you can stroll down the wide boulevard closed to traffic past the forum to the Coloseum. In fact it is by far the most relaxing and quiet day of the week with traffic cut way down.

I can't help you with your day trip, except to say that we went to Pompeii from Sorrento arriving as it opened and expecting to leave after a couple hours. Instead we stayed there until nearly 3 PM and enjoyed it very much. It was nice not to be rushed. Another time we went to the Archeology museum and spent about three hours or so there. I suppose you can get a taste of both plus do the round trip from Rome, but I hope you're into overviews and not detail.

Apr 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I agree with Neoplitan. My wife and I spent around 6 hours at Pompeii, and felt we had barely scratched the surface. We are both very interested in Roman history, and listened to probably every "chapter" on the audio tour.

I loved Pompeii (and Herculaneum), but would have missed out had I not been able to see the archaeology museum as well.

I suppose it is better to see a little than nothing at all, but to spend an hour or so at Pompeii is like looking at the statue of Liberty and the Empire state building, and thinking you've "done New York".