Search

Daytrips from Rome to Naples, Pompeii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytrips from Rome to Naples, Pompeii

Hi,

I'm going to Rome for 7 days in September with some friends and we want to do a daytrip out of the city to Pompeii, Naples and preferably Sorrento. We are students so our budget is limited and at the moment i've found one for £69 - but this doesn't include Sorrento. Has anyone got any suggestions/links?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, pepaim,

my suggestion - don't do it.

as students, you want to make the most of your money and in this trip, you'd be spending a lot on the travelling, rather than seeing.

instead, go to ostia antica, just outside rome. You get there on the train from piramide station, and you can spend a good few hours there exploring the ruins. ok, it's not pompeii, but it's very interesting in its own right. you can go onto the beach on the same train line.

regards, ann
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:07 AM

If you are talking about a day trip to all 3 places that sounds like far too much to try to do in one day trip from Rome! Either Naples or Pompeii would warrant a at least a full day in its own right, not even counting the travel time from Rome

I would agree that going to Ostia Antica outside Rome would be a reasonable alternative. Or if you feel you must see Pompeii, concentrate on a trip that just goes there.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I agree that if Pompeii is a must, stick with just that. Our first visit to Europe was 7 days in Rome with a day trip to Pompeii (a must-see for us), which we did on our own with no difficulty. We had heard you should see the Archaeological Museum in Naples to enhance the visit, but there just wasn't time for us. Of course, we had 3 kids in tow, so you could possibly do those two things in one day, but not all 3 cities.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM

you could do the pompeii bit if you started out early and were willing to come back late at night but Sorrento is just too much, unless you decide to spend one of your nights outside of Rome. Just the additinal travel to and from Sorrento (with wait times, etc) is going to add acouple more hours to your travel time, and what are you going to DO when you get there? Its not like there is any one thing to see.
Would make more sense to decide that you are going to spend a cpl days of your trip in that area and stay overnight than to handle as a daytrip.

As Ive said elsewhere, the Rome-Pompeii-Naples for the Arch Museum - Rome Daytrip makes no sense. Going to the museum will not add all that much if youve seen the site - its not a killer classical museum like several you will have in Rome, the statuary excavated out of pompeii was pedestrian. If you stop for a few hrs in Naples, do it to get a taste of the city, not for the museum.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Rome to Pompeii as a day trip is doable, I've done it. It is a long day, catching the train to Naples at 6 am and arriving back in Rome about 9 pm. Sorrento isn't as feasable, just a bit too far unless you spend the night. If you must go, I'd pick Pompeii or Naples. Pompeii is wonderful and worth the trip. You can take a train from Rome to Naples, switch to the Circumvisuvia train line and get off at the Pompeii Scavi.