Day Trips outside of Paris

Sep 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Day Trips outside of Paris

We are 6 women travelling to Paris in October and we would like to take some day trips outside of Paris. Does anyone know of any private guides that we could use with a minivan as there are 6 of us.
We would also like some suggestions of where to go that would be a good day trip.
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM

How long are you going for and is this your first trip? Not to try to change your mind, but Paris can be a city that will easily chew up any time that you may have....so if a first-timer...

That being said, Cityrama and Parisvision are probably the two largest tour companies based in Paris, with a multitude of tours. Both have websites. Also mentioned around here are the FatTire Bike Tours.

I have visited Versailles, Auvers-sur-Oise, Giverny and Reims as day trips and all would be nice. Are you requiring a guide, or willing to freelance? The ones I mentioned can be reached by train/train+taxi.

If you do a search here, you will find many more ideas.
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

It is a first time for a few of the women. It is my third time but I've never been on a day trip out of Paris except to go to Versailles.Are the ones you mention good to do on your own?

We were thinking more of a guided trip.
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi T,

You don't need a guide.

In addition to those mentionedm you can easily take the train to

Chartres - for the Cathedral

Auxerre - a nice old city on a river

Nancy - lovely old town with some good museums

Lyon

Avignon

You can take the bus to Malmaison - Napoleon and Josephine's country home.

I would also suggest planning on staying in the city for 1st timers who have only a week.

If you get bored, you can always hop a train.

Don't go to Auvers sur Oise on Monday or Tuesday. It's closed.

Enjoy your visit.

Sep 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Some people prefer a guided tour for lots of reasons, and if you are not comfortable with doing things yourself for whatever reason, there are companies that offer private guide tours. Now I have never used one, but this one seems reasonable and has some usual agendas (Giverny, Vaux-le-Vicomte, etc.).
http://www.driverguidefrance.com/

They are registered with the Paris Tourist Office and their guides are official and have to pass tests and are licensed. The fees aren't too bad for a group of 6 -- about 430 euro for a half day tour, or 70 euro a person. Given that would include roundtrip transportation and a guide at the site (plus registered guides get you in past any lines), that isn't too bad, I don't think. In fact, I believe I paid more for a Vaux-le-Vicomte tour that was by Cityrama and a larger group. It was good, though.

Their fullday tours could be worthwhile, also, as they are around 870 euro or 145 euro per person and you could to the Normandy/DDay tour, or Bruges, or Champagne region or Burgundy. Those places are more time-consuming to get to on your own, and this would be a reasonable option.

If you just want easy things like Versailles, though, you wouldn't need a guide.
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM

A guide for Versailles seems like quite an indulgence, you know you could easily do it on your own as you have gone before. It really is the easiest one to do...

Now, if you really want a van tour, Cityrama and ParisVisions do offer them also ( as well as big bus tours). They are not cheap, but if money is not a problem then go for it.

I think a daytrip to Loire Valley to see a few Chateaus would be nice.

I do think if you only have less then 7 full days ,, don't leave Paris, unless heart is set on a particular daytrip( which, at this point it doesn't seem like it is)

My personal picks for daytrips in order of preference would be :

Versailles
Loire Valley Chateaus
Chartres( read Pillars of the Earth first)
Giverny( only if interested in Monet)

these are just my choices, not nessesarily best for everyone.
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all the info.i will try to find out about the private guided tour. That does not sound overly expensive for 6 people.
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM

The impressionist show at the Auvers Chateau is well worth the visit.