Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a day tour operator in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine will be in Paris for one day meeting, staying overnight and leaving the next night. She will have one full day to explore and wants to take a guided tour to make the most of the time. Can anyone recommend a day tour operator? Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 01:03 AM

www.paris-walks.com Try this site. It might be just what she is looking for.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:50 AM

I have gone on three of the Paris Walks tours and have enjoyed them all, but I'm thinking your friend wants to be able to pack in as much of her interests in the city with her limited time. You/She might be wanting a personal guide for that.

Quite reliable and frequent posters here have recommended a tour guide, Michael Osman, whose email is [email protected]. He may have a heavy schedule, but he has a colleague, Scott Emerson, to whom he refers business, too. Scott has also been rather highly recommended (I don't have that contact info but I will assume other posters will).

I have not used either one of them.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM

I would do one of the coach tours. Parisvision, Cityrama are two of the big ones. There is also the Hop-Hop Off bus tour.

I would save M. Osman for another time, since she seems to want to get an overview of the city which is best done via a coach tour.

http://en.parisvision.com/
http://www.pariscityrama.com/
http://www.pariscityrama.com/visit-p...r/110A195.html
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Paris Walks offers private tours with personal guides.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I love Paris Walks, but for a one day visit, can they take a person to Eiffel, Chanps Elysee, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame,Place des Vosges,etc.. i.e. a Paris overview.

Do they have transport? The reason I would go coach above walking is that they have the means to get you around.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Their private tours are usually via metro and bus but I'm sure if someone wants a car service that could be arranged. Personally I think the metro and bus combination would be faster than a private car and would give an introduction to the wonderful Paris public transportation system.

Probably for a surface overview the HOHO bus that does the complete Paris circuit would be good. It would also be much less expensive than a private tour, although the OP does not state any budget requirements.

One does not only walk when taking a Paris Walks tour. I took a bus (coach) tour with them once to Vaux. And it was an excellent trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:17 AM

I knew London Walks did out of town tours, so it makes sesne. I did not know they did 'non-foot' tours of Paris.

If this person was keen, perhaps a coach tour in the morning (coach/HOHO), an afternoon PW tour, nice dinner near Seine, and a Seine cruise. That would be a full day.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:52 AM

I vote for Michael Osman. I have recommended him several times for first timers to Paris and also for veterans who have run out of things to see on their own. Everyone comes back raving about him. He is so knowledgeable and interesting. He can give a much more through and personal experience than a tour bus.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I've been researching tour operators because I like to do an overview tour when I arrive in a new city.

Here are a few options in addition to the ones posted above. Depending on your friend's budget, she could take a tour in a Citroen CV:
http://www.4roues-sous-1parapluie.co...rticuliers.php

If she is looking for a less expensive option, I've read good things about Foxity tours:
http://www.foxity.com/en

She might want to do a half-day tour and then visit the monument or museum that she most wants to see (Eiffel Tower, etc.)
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Definitely Michael Osman. My friends and I have used him on each trip the last 5 or 6 years. Just ell him you want to see the top sites. He'll pick you up early and will stay out with you until you give up abd give in all for a very reasonable price.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Avalon, you might want to provide what 'reasonable cost' is. That may help decide on what tour to do.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will pass all of your suggestions to her and she can pick one that suits her timing and budget. Your thoughts have been wonderfully expressed and I appreciate your input. Many thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:52 AM

100 Euro , no matter how many people are in your group and he'll spend 12 hours or more with you if you can keep up. We do buy his lunch
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Michael is the best value in Paris. Scott helps him out when he is heavily booked and is equally as good. Do not be afraid to tell Micahael what interests you - he will tailor the day and his discussion.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM

We buy his lunch, drinks later if it suits everyone's schedule and tip 20%......he's the best value we've ever found in touring a city!
We have paid much more in other cities and not enjoyed the day as much. We use Michael and Scott whenever we're in Paris, usually once or twice a year.