Best day for Segway tours and questions about walking tours and excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our first visit to Paris in June 2010. It will be myself, DH, and our two teens. The task of planning the itinerary once more is on my shoulders (and I'm no expert). Armed with three guide books and lengthy notes from Fodors' forums, I am frankly quite overwhelmed.

For the fortunate who live in Paris or who know her quite well, do you know if there's a better day to schedule segway tours? I was hoping that we could actually enjoy looking at the sights instead of mostly concentrating on the driving part in order to avoid hitting the pedestrians.

We're also planning to do several walking tours with either Private Tours Paris http://www.private-tours-paris.com/paris.html or Paris Walks http://www.paris-walks.com/download-pdf.html. Specifically the Montmartre/Sacre Couer and the Ile de la Cite/Notre Dame tours. Will take other tours if we have more time. Has anyone tried a custom tour? May I get some recommendations?

Also planning to see Versailles and Giverny. We'd rather not drive (rookies, y'all), so a bus or van tour. Is this best done on separate days so we can spend a longer time in both places? We'll be in Paris for 10 days.

Finally, is it a good idea to ride on the hop-on hop-off buses on our first day? We're arriving at 6:05 a.m. (?!). While it's likely that we won't be able to move into our apartment that early, we can arrange to store our luggage in the office so we can start playing tourist. Some of you may think it's redundant to do the ho-ho tour in addition to the Segway tour, but the latter is mostly for the enjoyment of our two teenagers (ok, and their parents too).

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM

I live in Italy but I used to live in Paris, and there are days when I think of American tourists as having turned themselves into merely eyeballs on wheels, doing drive-by sightseeing and turning every place they go into an amusement park experience, and never really seizing the chance to live like a local in Europe, even briefly.

Paris is one of the great walking cities of Europe, with streets of beauty, fascination and surprise, and even more beautiful public parks that are actually works of art, for both strolling or sitting and enjoying some of world's best people (and dog) watching. The riverside of Paris and its bridges are inspiring places, day and night.

I highly recommend you save the Segway tour for the next time you're in an American amusement park or Las Vegas and spend a day or two just exploring Paris and its parks.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole,

Not to worry, we ARE indeed planning to take a LOT of walks. 10 days worth of walks. The hop-on hop-off bus tour that we are planning to take on our first day is just to give us a general idea of the lay of the land. While we can take one of the regular buses for this "orientation tour", we actually need the commentary so we'll know what we are looking at. After that first day, we'll have no more need for a ho-ho ride.

The segway, like I said, is mainly for the kids. I've gone on the two websites that offer these tours and noticed all the favourable reviews. If I can get away from going with the kids, I think I would actually rather just walk around Rue Cler and the surrounding area to shop for food and other accoutrements for our apartment.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to love the idea of hiring a guide for private tours. Does anyone have recommendations?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM

gelatolover,

I hope you have a great trip, and I along with others can offer whatever help you may require.

Several people here, not myself, have taken the Segway tours and enjoyed them. My sense was that it is meant as a good family outing, versus something that an adult new to the city would choose as a primary means to see city. Someone here did do a Fat Bike tour of Versailles, which may be of interest, it sounded interesting

I've done many Paris Walks tours, and found them well worth the money. They were knwoledgeable, with some being a bit more fun, some being a bit more factual, but as a means to see the city, hear some stories, and get a bit off of the tour book route, good.

HOHO bus is one plan, you will also see Cityrama and Parisvision. They offer coach tours...Paris, Versailles, and other destinations. As a quick intro to Paris, ok. As a easy way to go to Versailles, also ok.

I've visited Versailles via the coach toru, and on my own. You can easily take a train from Paris that will drop you off a 10 minute walk from the Chateau. Doing it this way, you can get there early, avoid some crowds (and there will be crowds!), take a guided tour, spend as much time as you want seeing the grounds (huge expanse of land) and return on your won schedule. But, it will require you to take public transit, which should nto be too bad. You would be looking at RER Line C, getting off at Versailles Rive Gauche.

Parisivion offers a Versailles/Giverny combo, so that might be of interest. To get to Giverny on your own, would take train to Vernon and then a cab from there. Many people here have done this, so it is not overly complicated.

I would also highly recommend a Seine Cruise, especially at night. There are several companies, I like Vedettes du Pont Neuf. You can also go to Bateaux Mouches, Bateaux Parisiens,etc..

Let us know your thoughts. We can help with train schedules,etc..
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Private guide is one idea, but it is $$$. Do a search here for Michael Osman, for example.

I guess it's a matter of deciding of how to blend in organized tours like Paris Walks, some random on your own walks, visits to places that already have tours/guides (like museums), and a few guidebook tours. Then decide if this, cheaper, solution matches a private guide or not.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't recommend a ho-ho tour for the first day arriving from an overnight flight. The best cure I know of for jet lag is fresh air and exercise. Sitting on a bus would put me to sleep. And it is not cheap. Paris is an easily walkable city. Pick two or three landmarks (such as Notre Dame, Arch de Triomphe and Louvre) and plan on your map from your apartment a route to walk around them all and back again.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Hi Gelato Lover,

I did the Segway Tour with family and friends ( four adults in their 40's and a 13 year old ) on a Sunday evening in June, 2007. We all had a blast. Two of the participants were a dear friend and her husband who were living in Paris at the time. The husband was working for a hotel chain in a high level, very stressful position. After we all took the segway tour, my friend told me she hadn't seen her husband have so much fun in quite a long time!

Our tour was with City Segway Tours ( citysegwaytours.com ). Traffic, as you might expect, was not that heavy on a Sunday evening. I never felt intimidated or uncomfortable because of the traffic. We covered a lot of ground, and the guide stopped us frequently to point out significant buildings and monuments. It
certainly wasn't an "in depth" tour, but it was a memorable evening. Your calves may get sore, but you won't mind!

We also did a fantastic, private "Chocoholic Tour" with Barbara Pasquet James of Paris Talks ( paristalks.com ). Barbara writes about Paris for a variety of papers and magazines ( google her name if you'd like to read some ). Our tour lasted six hours (!), but it covered so much more than chocolate ( though Barbara really, really knows her chocolate! ). It's a great introductory tour to the city. Barbara spends much of the time discussing french culture and food, and she acquaints you with public transportation. Barbara also offers other tours ( themed tours and neighborhood tours, such as Montmartre and Marais ) as well as "table talks". She is very knowledgeable and friendly with a great sense of humor. I remember, as we were sampling some of Barbara's favorite chocolates, she would watch our eyes closely to see our reactions. She genuinely wanted us to be able to appreciate the chocolates as much as she did. If we ever get back to Paris, I intend to try to schedule in a few of Barbara's neighborhood tours. The rate she charged us was very reasonable. Please check out her website!

Another tour we did was the private "Muse Clues" family Louvre tour with Paris Muse ( parismuse.com ). This tour is aimed toward families with kids in the 6-12 year old range, though our 13 year old daughter, and we adults, enjoyed it very much. Paris Muse offers many other museum tours that might be more suitable for you, DH, and the teens. Their tours are expensive, but we felt ours was well worth it. I think their tours are limited to four people, which would make it "private" for you.

We also took a cooking class at the lovely home of Anne Sfez. Anne is a very sweet lady and fun cooking instructor. You can read her entertaining food blog at afoodiefroggy.canalblog.com .
Anne's classes are also limited to four people, and, at the time we took her class, I think she was only scheduling one or two classes per month. I'm not even entirely sure she's still doing the classes, but if she is, and if you're interested in that sort of thing, I highly recommend her. You can contact her via her blog
website. On the home page, in the upper left-hand corner ( just beneath her photo ), click on "contactez l'auteur" and a little
e-mail contact form will pop up.

When we scheduled our class, Anne e-mailed us a list of appetizers, entrees, and desserts to choose from. After the class in Anne's kitchen, we sat down at Anne's dining room table to consume our homework with Anne and her very pleasant husband. What a wonderful evening!

If you're looking for an evening activity, there are, sometimes, classical concerts in La Madeleine ( church ), and also at a small church called St. Julien la Pauvre on the Left Bank, very near Notre Dame. I've been to one concert at La Madeleine, and a couple at St. Julien. All three times I just purchased my tickets at the door. There are sometimes also organ concerts at Notre Dame, and I also recall enjoying a free concert on a Sunday afternoon in the Luxembourg Gardens. Luxembourg Gardens is also a great place to just stroll, people watch, and watch the children
sail toy boats in the massive fountain ( or sail some boats yourselves for about 2-3 euros per half hour ).

I've never been to Giverny, but I've been to Versailles several times. One of my favorite times was on a summer afternoon, when
my mom and I picked up some ham, cheese, baguettes, and some beverages at a grocery near our hotel in Paris, and went to have a picnic in the gardens at Versailles. Versailles is very easily reached by using the RER rail line ( see parisbytrain.com , click on attractions, and scroll down to "Paris to Chateau Versailles by Train" ), which will take you to within a five to ten minute walk from the palace. The palace and the grounds are huge, and travel time to and from the palace can be up to an hour each way, so I recommend setting aside a day for Versailles.

I hope you find some of this helpful. Also, the previous poster is absolutely correct about taking in Paris on foot. It's the perfect city to just wander around without a plan, if you choose.
Wisely, you've decided to spend ten whole days there, so you can, perhaps, mix in some scheduled activities along with some leisurely, unplanned, unhurried roaming. You'll love the city no matter how you decide to experience it!

Bill Hjort
Maplewood, Minnesota
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Michel - I think the Seine cruise would be a lovely idea - and it will give our tired legs the much-needed respite from all the walking. As regards the Versailles/Giverny tour, I think I would prefer two separate tours. Read several reviews that indicated that the Versailles tour was too compressed and there was hardly any time to view the gardens. We're exploring doing either a small group tour (minivan) or even doing a private tour for Versailles.

I agree with your comment about the Segway. It's something the kids have always wanted to do. The last time we had an opportunity to do that, we found out that my son didn't meet the age requirement, and we wouldn't have heard the end of it if we let our daughter do it but not our son. Also did a search on Michael Osman too and am just waiting for his response to my email.

Bill,
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! We'll probably have our Segway ride on Sunday night then. Sent an email to Barbara about the personalized food tour - that's right up our alley! Her table talks sound very interesting as well. Also sent an email to Anne and am just waiting for her response about the cooking class. It's amazing how your response to this thread seems to be tailor-made for our needs.

Regarding the Louvre tour, I think I'd like to make a list of the definite "must-sees" (all 4 of us are avid museum-goers) - it's going to be quite a lengthy list. Then I'll just hand the list to a guide (hopefully Michael Osman) and ask him/her to map out the most efficient way to see what's on our list, making it a customized tour as well. We only have 10 days, unfortunately, not enough time to go back a second time.

Thanks for the info about the evening concerts. It's a relief to know that we can just buy the tickets at the door, so it's something that we can do on the evenings when we have time to spare. I also read that St. Sulpice has weekly organ concerts following the 10:00 a.m. mass, something we can also do on the two Sundays that we're going to be in Paris.

Thanks again to everyone - what a huge help you have been!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:47 PM

By all means do the Segway tour! Not only will the kids love it but chances are you will too. I'm in my 50s and after a tour in 2007 I was hooked. I've done one on each of 2 visits since.

They're great fun. The people we've met on each tour have been great and the guides, while not in Michael Osman's league, are always pleasant and fun.

Go... you'll have a ball!

Rob
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM

For what it's worth, I have a friend who is still recuperating from a serious hand injury incurred while standing still on a Segway. It required surgery. He paid attention while moving but fell when he was stopped.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM

I would second the suggestion to NOT do a bus tour on your first day - it's a guaranteed way to start nodding off!

If you plan to visit the Montmartre/Sacre Coeur area, you could easily visit the area by yourselves, without a tour guide. Rick Steves has a good walking tour of the area; we enjoyed it very much, and it pointed out a lot of the sites that were significant to the Impressionists.

If you're all big museum-goers, you'll have a wonderful time in Paris!

Keep in mind that the more tours (custom or not) that you book yourselves for, the less time you'll have for flexibility and changes to your plans. We minimize tour time - in fact, we've never taken any in Paris. Instead, we (including our teen son) use a variety of guidebooks to enjoy the parts of the museums and other sites that we want to spend time with.

On the day that you visit the Louvre, if you plan to spend a lot of time there, remember that you can re-enter. We did that, to break up the day. We visited in the morning, then left for a leisurely lunch at a Breton creperie. Then we returned for more time there in the afternoon (this was when our son was 10yo).
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM

The hop on/hop off buses are a magnificent way to see the city from seats on the open air upper deck - if the weather is pleasant. With the excitement of just having landed in Paris, you're not likely to doze off. Be advised that the "commentary" is not in-depth, but adequate for identifing the sights as you pass them. We have a tradition of riding around the day before departure for a last look around all over.

A Segway tour would not be redundant at all. The best day for least traffic and fewest pedestrians would be Sunday, but foot and vehicle traffic is much less during the evening tours other days than weekdays. We prefer the evening tours because you leave in the daylight, enjoy dusk/twilight/sunset, and return in the dark after the lights have been turned on all over. Be advised that Sunday tours book way, way, ahead. And, you never know about the weather. There's not that much "commentary" on the Segway tours either. But, the route is very carefully planned and guided, so you don't really need to worry about pedestrians or traffic. This tour is more about enjoying the scenery and riding a Segway (amazing fun). Last tour (I don't know if this is something new or because there were kids) a guide also followed the group on a bicycle.

We've done Segway tours half a dozen or more times in Paris, and in many other cities, and have witnessed no injuries. I think the only way you could get yourself injured is not paying attention to the few safety tips given ahead of the tour for managing the vehicle. There was a family with two adolescents on our last tour and they had no problems at all. Just admonish your kids to follow instructions and not "play around" on the Segways.

You could "do" Chateau Versailles and Giverny in one day, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The best day (until all the tour guides and websites catch up) to go to Giverny in Monday. Recommend going to FNAC for your Giverny tickets and getting train tickets ahead of time, so day of visit, you can just hop on the train and use the group entrance. Buses are now timed to the train arrivals/departures. If you take a taxi from the station, be sure to ask the driver to return for you at an appointed time. It's best not to rush...we spent hours over a leisurely lunch on a lovely terrace on a beautiful day before heading back to Paris.

I totally agree that a significant problem with booking all those private tours is having to plan all your time around "appointments" - unless that's the way you like to do things.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Rob, yes, I will join the kids and GO for it!

Saige - ouch, (Grace is NOT my middle name), my klutzy self will take note of that and try my best to stay on the Segway.

Lexma - that's a good idea, about returning to the Louvre after a short break on the same day. We'll do that to prevent museum overdose. I read Rick Steves' Montmartre walk - will most likely do that on our own too.

djk - ok, will make that Sunday segway ride an evening one. And yes, we'll definitely split up the Versailles and Giverny trips. Now we need 20 days instead of just 10 days in Paris! Will have to trim some museums from our to-do list (sob) to make room for the 2 days needed for Versailles and Giverny. I suppose Chartres will also have to wait for another trip.

Yes, we will plan to spend a full day in Giverny (on Monday - thanks). Did you need to make a reservation for your lunch there or is it relatively easy to do walk-in?

Now, all I need to do is convince myself that we CAN take the train to go to both excursions.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM

Hi Gelato Lover,

I put a few photos that are related to my previous post on Picasa/Google Web Albums. There are some shots from our Segway tour, "Chocoholic Tour", Paris Muse Louvre tour, cooking class with Anne, Luxembourg Gardens, GELATO!!!, plus a few Notre Dame shots. Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10189629...5146815/Paris#

If you care to read more about Anne and her cooking class, there are a number of posts about her on the Tripadvisor.com Paris forum. Just search "Anne Sfez" or "Anne cooking class".

Bill Hjort
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Bill!!! Those pictures...... and I skipped lunch today.... sheer torture....

You just decided it for us - we are going on the chocoholic Tour. As I was reading your post, an email came in - from Barbara, and guess what, she's available on our first 2 days in Paris. We will obviously not pick Day 1 - don't want to be nibbling on chocolate truffles and nodding off at the same time. So we have an activity for Day 2!!!!

Thank you SO much for sharing your pictures. I can show them to my kids and say, "this is exactly what we are going to do in Paris...."

I also just heard from Anne regarding the cooking classes - we will be comparing schedules to see if it's do-able. I am SOOOOO excited. The museum list keeps getting shorter as the foodie list gets longer. Fancy that.....
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM

Here's where we had lunch. The Giverny website indicates they're closed on Monday, but that must have changed now that Monet's home is open on Mondays, as we were there on a Monday last September.

It looks like you can book a table via e-mail, which I would recommend, just to be sure.

This place is right across from the top of the street that leads straight to where you catch the bus to return to the station.

http://giverny.org/restos/terra/index.htm#resto
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM

Keep in mind that is is really far better not to rush all over, rather leisurely enjoy every place you go. Too many, I think, try to get to far too many places, not to appreciate them, rather so they can say they've been there.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

djk: Thanks for the link. Yes, we've since switched gears somewhat in this planning process to allow for more time to explore places in a leisurely manner, and eat, and nibble, and sip, and eat some more, (and the cycle repeats itself).