Reload this Page >

Day trip to Dover

Search

Day trip to Dover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Flo

Day trip to Dover

Hi Ben,read about your suggestions from London to Dover.May I ask do you have any advise or suggestions from Brugge to Dover.I understand I have to travel from Brugge to Oostende and take the ferry across.Any idea if there is any ferry crossing during winter and how long would the journey take.I will be in Brugge on 25thFeb for a few days and thinking if I can make the trip to Dover ina day since I have read so much about the earlier post.Will it be cold over in Dover and the castle open during this time of the year.Thanks in advance for all help.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Myriam

<BR>Flo,<BR>In this season it will be a bit difficult to go forth and back in one day to Dover. <BR>Hoverspeed, the fast crossing from Ostend to Calais has a winterstop until 21st March. <BR>The other possibility would be Zeebrugge-Dover by P&amp;O Stena Line. This crossing will take 4.5 hours one-way though!<BR><BR>You could do a Calais-Dover crossing with Hoverspeed (less than an hour) or P&amp;O Stena (75 min.) but the travel time Brugge-Calais might be prohibitive, unless you can do it by car.<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Geoff Hamer

Hoverspeed's ferry from Oostende to Dover is suspended for the winter and is very unlikely to reopen next summer. The Zeebrugge-Dover service has also closed, so you'd need to get to Calais which has frequent ferries to Dover. There are train connections via Lille, but I don't know about any bus services.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Flo

Myriam and Geoff,both of your info are so helpful and look like I have to cancel this part.But one more try,any idea how far I have to travel from Brugge to Calais...depending on public transport,and how long will the ferry crossing takes.Is it a good idea if I will to stay in Dover for the night and I wander where to get the ferry time schedule and price.Any input to my planning of this trip is most welcome.Thanks.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Geoff Hamer

You can check train schedules for the whole of Europe on www.bahn.de. At Calais, the ferry companies run free buses from the station to the port terminal. Sailings are frequent, with two main operators, P&amp;O (www.poferries.com) and Seafrance (www.seafrance.co.uk). The crossing takes an hour and a half, and they're big ships with bars, restaurants, etc. Even if you don't have time to go ashore in Dover, the ferry will give great views of the white cliffs and Dover Castle, as well as some sea air.