Search

Nantucket ferry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantucket ferry

Any recommendations on which ferry to take from Hyannis to Nantucket,the Hy-line Cruise ferry or Steamship Authority ferry? For some reason, I'm thinking one of these has an older boat that breaks down often and is delayed or canceled, but I might be thinking of somewhere else.
Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM

I assume you mean the fast ferries that make the on trip from Hyannis to Nantucket in an hour? The Steamship Authority used to have a fast ferry that had a history of breaking down but has since replaced it with a newer, larger boat. We've been taking it most every weekend this past summer and had no problems with it. I've also taken the Hy-line in the past but not this summer. I am not aware of any problems with the Hy-line. The schedule for the Steamship works better for us. The Steamship ferry is still on the summer schedule now but I think that they will be dropping the later boats from Hyannis (7:15 p.m and thereafter) after Columbus Day in October. Hope this helps you out!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM

this site might help you also:

www.smartguide.org
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I bet I was thinking of the one that kept breaking down for the Steamship Authority. It sounds like it's been replaced, so I have nothing to worry about. I like the smartguide.org website. It helps to have everything in one place rather than having to go to individual websites.
Thanks again for the help.

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM

More than you wanted to know, but maybe this will be useful to someone else.

The Hyline fast ferry costs quite a bit more but usually arrives late. The new Steamship fast ferry, the Iyanough, almost invariably arrives on time.

The Steamship slow ferry almost always arrives early when there is not heavy traffic, so the 2:15 minute run is often 2 hours for half the price of the fast ferry, which is 1 hour.

The fun ferries are the Steamship freight boats. If they are not carrying hazardous cargos and are not loaded beyond a certain limit, it can take a small group of passengers in addition to truck drivers. If you arrive at the terminal and one is there, ask if you can ride on it. They take the same time and cost the same amount as the slow ferry. Accomodations are sort of spartan, but you have a sense of adventure, the views are good, and they are very good in rough weather because they have ballast tanks that can be used to weight them against swells.

The Hyline personnel are friendlier than the boat staff on the Steamship fast ferry, though the Steamship terminal personnel are pretty wonderful when people aren't giving them a hard time ("What do you mean, I can't get my car to the mainland today? Don't you know I am rich?".

Both lines have websites that tell you if there are weather related or equipment related delays or cancellations.