charleston with an infant

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charleston with an infant

My husband is going to Charleston for work in November and my daughter and I are going to tag along for a week. She will be 8 months old by then. Any suggestions for activities? I don't know if Charleston has enough to offer for such a little one, or if we should plan on Hilton Head or another nearby destination instead/as well. Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

At 8 mos old, she's probably stroller bound. If she's amenable to being pushed around, you might have a lovely time exploring the historic areas of Charleston. Will your DH have a car? If so, you might be able to drop him off one or two times and take the car a head out to one of the nearby beaches for the day. Your baby could sit and play in the sand while yo enjoyed the view.

There is The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry (25 Ann Street behind the visitor's center) that you could take in. Their website says the museum is designed 'for children 3 months to 12 years old.' The Aquarium is also nice.

Hilton Head is a good 2-2 1/2 hours from Charelston so I don't know if that would work for you and your DH.
There are other beach options right outside of Charleston if that's the direction you'd like to go instead of staying the in historic district. It really depends on where he is working while he's there and what you'd like to do during the day.

Many of the downtown restaurants are pretty boisterous so dining on the early side should work with your daughter. We have had very child-friendly experiences at SNOB and Magnolias to name a couple.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM

8 months old.....carriage ride in the historic district, fantastic aquarium with two story fishtanks, the average day time high that time of year is probably around 70 so you might get some days nice enough to hit the beach. Used to take our kids down to the Battery park and let them climb around on the cannons.

Not sure when they put the huge train up in the lobby of the Charleston Place hotel for xmas, but that's fun to check out. Great town to put her in a backpack and just stroll the straw market area or King St. shops, as there are horse buggy's going by, Trolleys, etc.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Do what interests you. She will be amused as long as the stroller is moving, no matter where you are. Chances are she will like something you never expected, like sea gulls or squirrels.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Hi Jess81, just a gentle suggestion. I visited Charleston for the first time three years ago and fell in love with that beautiful city and its residents. But be forewarned. The sidewalks are tricky. My friend and stumbled about, lol, due to uneven pavement and cracks in the sidewalks. So be careful if you are pushing your little daughter in a stroller. Keep an eye on the sidewalks so she doesn't have a tumble. And enjoy, Charleston is beautiful!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM

At 8 months, just enjoy walking around the historic district, shopping for mom, etc. What do you think you would do somewhere else. The weather will be quite pleasant. There is an aquarium that is wonderful. Walk along the Battery and feed the seagulls.