Reload this Page >

Edinburgh to Norway

Search

Edinburgh to Norway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM
colleen

Edinburgh to Norway

I am thinking about planning a trip to Norway from Edinburgh as I will be visiting relatives there in September. I would like to do the Norway in a nutshell tour but am having trouble finding a conveient means of transportation from Edinbugh or Aberdeen to Bergen or Oslo. Has anyonr traveled this route? Are there any direct flights or must you go through Copenhagen which seems out of the way and expensive.<BR>Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Sheila

There are definitely direct flights from Aberdeen to Bergen or Stavanger.<BR><BR>Do you need more info?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:12 PM
colleen

Sheila- I would be greatful for any information you have on this subject.<BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>If time allows you might like to think of cruising over. I show suitable restaurant car trains out of Edinburgh, and restaurant car trains to Oslo where available.<BR><BR>Fjord line. Till 16 September <BR>Edinburgh 1025 on Wednesday, Newcastle station 1156, Newcastle International ferry terminal 1330 on Wednesday: Stavenger 0800 on Thursday<BR>Edinburgh 1455 on Friday, Newcastle 1626, Newcastle 1800 on Friday, Bergen 1530 on Saturday<BR>Edinburgh 1655 on Sunday, Newcastle 1827, Newcastle 1930 on Sunday, Stavenger 1430 on Monday, Stavenger station 1538, Oslo 2312 on Monday<BR>From 17 September Edinburgh 1555 on Tuesday and Saturday, Newcastle 1731, Newcastle 1830 on Tuesday and Saturday, Stavenger 1430 on Wednesday and Sunday, Stavenger station 1538, Oslo 2312 on Wednesday and Sunday,<BR><BR>DFDS Seaways. Subject to change in midsummer<BR>Edinburgh 1225 on Monday and Friday, Newcastle 1356, Newcastle 1500 on Monday and Friday, Kristiansund 0915 next day, Kristiansund station 1945, Oslo 1426 on Tuesday and Saturday<BR>Google will give you the web page of each line.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Sheila

There are three flights a day from Aberdeen to Bergen, which stop at Stavanger. the prices are from about &pound;160/return. If you can be more specific, I can narrow down for you.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM
colleen

Thanks Ben and Shelia- that's enough to get me started I think. What airline flys from Aberdeen to Bergen?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:15 AM
xxx

Coast Air fly from Aberdeen to Bergen, only small planes though (19-48 seated). <BR>Scandinavian Airlines/Braathens fly to Stavanger and from there you take a fast ferry to Bergen.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Nico

You might also want to consider RyanAir, which has low-budget flights (starting from 10 GBP one-way, plus tax) from Glasgow/Prestwick to Oslo/Torp. Prestwick's only a bit over an hour from Edinburgh and easily reachable via public transportation. Torp is not Oslo's main airport, so make sure it works for you vs your Norwegian itinerary.<BR><BR>http://www.ryanair.com

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Sheila

SAS and KLM

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Linda

Just to add, it took us an hour and a half to get from Oslo/Torp to downtown Oslo by the connection bus and cost us more than our Ryanair ticket did from Frankfurt.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:54 AM
helen

Do a search for Aberdeen-Bergen on<BR>www.opodo.co.uk/<BR>or call Coast Air: coastair.no<BR>They have rebate for the second in a family or staying the night between saturday/sunday.<BR><BR>You will save you some... NOK950 (US 135 w/todays exchange rate) if doing the Nutshell round trip from Bergen instead of Oslo. Oslo will be left out, but you’ll see the highlights either way. And depending on your timeframe the Bergen roundtrip saves a day. <BR><BR>You could Fly Ryan Air one-way to Oslo Torp. Do the nutshell (saves you the roundtrip back to Oslo). Night cruise from Bergen to Newcastle with fjordline on Saturday, Tuesday or Thursday. www.fjordline.co.uk<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Colleen

Thanks all for your helpful replies-it looks like Cost air has the best rates through europrebyair from Aberdeen to Bergen. Has anyone flown this airline? Do they have a good/safe reputation? I'm not a fan of really small planes but this does seem the most economical way to go.<BR>Colleen