Day Trip to Amalfi/Capri

Search

Day Trip to Amalfi/Capri

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Amalfi/Capri

I am going to Rome the week of March 27th and I wanted to take a day trip out to Capri. I spent a month in Italy and the one place I didn't go was Capri. So I have two questions:

1. I am only in Italy for a week- Can Capri be done in one day.

2. Which is the best method of getting there Rome to Sorrento or Rome to Naples?
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM

IMO Capri cannot be done in one day because otherwise, IMO, you miss the best of Capri, its unique charme when the last ship leaves the harbour in Marina Grande in the late afternoon and Capri, with its sunset, its evening life, belongs to the happy few: they become temporary residents and can enjoy their temporary island.

Vincenzo
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

I spent only one day in Capri and enjoyed myself.I was staying on the Amalfi though.

If coming from Rome I would probably save it for another trip.
Too hectic for a day trip.

I have taken the train from Sorrento to Rome. I have taken to train from Naples to Sorrento too and didnt have any issues.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM

You can get to Capri and spend a few hours there. Don't know if that makes sense for you or not.

Take train to Naples and ferry to Capri. Watch timetables carefulls, since the last ferry is usually very early evening and you don;t want to be stuck there.

But - don;t assume you can do the Blue Grotto. It is accesible only when the sea is calm - in March might or might not be calm enough. And while the island is cute and has other things to see/do - it is best at night and in warmer weather (for outdoor dining).
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

Sure you could do Capri in one day, but coming from Rome, I wouldn't recommend it. You are looking at a minimum of 2.5 hours each way (based on 90 minutes on train from Rome to Naples, a taxi to port from train station, then 45 minutes on the hydrofoil).

Capri is beautiful but IMO you need more than part of a day to appreciate it. I was there overnight and I felt like I barely saw anything. I agree with what Vincenzo posted; it is best in the evening and early morning. Taking a day trip from the Amalfi coast is one thing, but coming from Rome is too much for me.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM

The AC is one of my favorite places and I have been four times. Because of that experience, I would not do a day trip from Rome to Capri or the AC. Wait until you can spend some time there or overnight on Capri.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM

Hi Cajm - If you're not planning another visit to Italy anytime soon, I'd say ... go for it!

Yes - it's a long day (- 14 hrs+). But with an early start you can be in Capri by 10.00-10.30. That would allow you 8 hours on the island - enough time to see the highlights (- Capri town, Monte Solaro/Anacapri, Marina Piccola ...)

http://www.capri.net/

Of course - as Vincenzo says - if you can manage an overnight stay, so much the better

Steve