Day Trip to Capri from Rome?

Sep 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Day Trip to Capri from Rome?

Hello!
First trip to Italy coming up and I'm wondering if a day trip to Capri from Rome is a good idea or if it is too much for one day.
From my estimation each way would be about 3 hours, via train and ferry.
Does that leave enough time to enjoy Capri?
Any comments would be helpful!
Sep 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM

You'd be very lucky to do the journey in three hours. You need to get from the station to the port at Napoli and then wait for the next sailing. You would have no more than the afternoon on Capri, after a journey that you might find stressful if you're not used to southern Italy.
However, if you want to see Capri and can't spare any more time, then an afternoon on Capri is better than nothing. The sea trip can be enjoyable if the boat has open deck space and you see Vesuvius, the Sorrento peninsula and the incredible cliff formations of Capri.
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

From Rome you would have to go to Termini and catch a train to Naples. When you get to Naples you would have to take a tram, bus, or taxi to the port. At the port, you will need to find the next available ferry or hydrofoil to Capri. When you get to Capri you will have to take the funicular up to Capri town. As you can see, this will take more than 3 hours since just the journey from Rome to Naples on an ES train ( fastest available) 2 hours.

The return ferries don't run late so you will nee to catch a ferry around 6 pm.

If you want to make your day a little longer, catch the return ferry to Sorrento instead of Naples. Have dinner in Sorrento and take the Circumvesuviana train to Naples and then train back to Rome. This will be a very long day!
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Can you stay over in Capri one night? If so it's worth the trip, if not then I would save Capri for another time. It is really a so-so island when you day trip it with all the other toursits. To really enjoy and get the feel of the most wonderful Isle of Capri you must stay and see what its like when all the day trippers are gone. Magic.

Don't waste the experience by rushing to the Isle and rushing off. You really will regret it.
Sep 17th, 2005, 07:49 AM
cbleigh

Or stay in Sorrento for the night. We stayed in a beautiful hotel set in the side of the hill overlooking the water.

The way we did it was we booked a tour through the American Express office. It was a two day tour. All we had to do was get on the bus and they took care of everything, the tour guides, the food, the hotel. Day one took us to Naples and Pompeii. Very good, very worthwhile tour. Then we spent the night in Sorrento. The next morning we caught the ferry bright and early and spent the whole day on Capri. We had lots of free time. Then back on the ferry that night and the bus back to Rome. Next time I would be comfortable doing it on our own, but this was a great way to see Pompeii and Capri with minimal effort.

Can you spare two days?

Sep 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful responses. Based on your collective feedback, we've decided to pass on Capri this trip. Another reason to think of a future trip to Italy!!
Sep 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I would recommend the trip to Capri. We took a day trip by bus from Rome. The tour stopped at Sorrento where they took us to a couple of cute stores and then we got on a ferry to Capri. Once there we had lunch and then took a boat to the different grottos. We did this all in one day. Meet at the tour station
at 7:30 and got home at 9:00PM. We thought it was totally worth it.
Good luck.
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
b52

How much does the day trip from Rome to Capri cost? Also, any good website for train schedule/fares for travel in Italy?
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM

The Web site for Italian trains and schedules is

www.trenitalia.com
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM

To Kybourbon:
"The return ferries don't run late so you will nee to catch a ferry around 6 pm."

The aliscafo (jet boats) run from Capri to Naples until a little after 10m and then start at 5:45 am again. They don't stop early.
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM

That smiley face wasn't supposed to come up.. sorry.. it was supposed to be 10:00 pm ....sorry about that.
May 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Planning to join a one day tour from Rome to Capri. Any website or company that I can book in advance? What is the normal price for adult? I have a group of 4 adults.

Thanks!