Reload this Page >

D'angleterre hotel in Copenhagen

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:46 PM
Clare

Am considering staying at this hotel in June, does anyone have any good/bad experiences staying at this hotel? Also would appreciate the inside scoop on the differences between their room categories. Many thanks.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:52 AM
up

topping<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:08 AM
s.fowler

I stayed here in the early 70s with my parents. At that time it was a top notch hotel -- beautiful rooms i Danish modern [of course] and a superb concierge desk. It apparently got run downa bit since then, BUT has been recently [past few years] renovated and brought back up to standards. I don't have any detailed information, but based on my experience and the renovation I'd guess it is [again] a world class hotel. The location is fun too -- near Nyhaven.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:44 AM
Cass

As it happens, I returned yesterday from a week in Scandanavia and was fortunate enough to have been housed (by a corporate host, oh the shame of it...!) at the D'Angleterre for 4 nights.<BR><BR>I have no insight as to room categories, but I can't imagine any rooms would be anything less than top-grade. Ours had a great view of the square and Nyhavn, so perhaps that's one of the variables. <BR><BR>The staff is enormously helpful, the food at the restaurant is outstanding (considered one of the city's tops), and the location is good although not as central, depending on your priorities, as some might like. It's just all a bit pricey.<BR><BR>It is, as s.fowler notes, near Nyhavn, which is a couple of blocks along an inlet chock-a-block with cafes where people hang out after work or on weekends. And it is within decent walking distance of some of the tourist destinations (palaces, museums, etc.), and it is at the slightly-more-posh end of the Stroget (the long, pedestrian shopping street through the old part of the city). There are hundreds of shops and restaurants within a short radius of the front door. The distance to Tivoli and some of the more commercial areas is rather a long walk, however (about a mile to Tivoli), so a lot might depend on how you want to spend your time.<BR><BR>We were very pleased with the location, VERY pleased with the room and the service and the food. It IS, however, at the top end of expensive for the city, with the most expensive gourmet restaurants and shops not too far away. <BR><BR>I don't think you will be anything other than very pleased with it unless you are wary of spending more money than you probably need to.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
s.fowler

Glad to hear your report Cass -- it's unlikely I'll get to stay there again, but it's good to hear that the hotel is back up to where it was.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
Clare

Hi Cass - thanks for the feedback. May I ask what kind of room you stayed in - Standard, Superior or Deluxue? I was also wondering if you would recommend your room and what the room number was? The view over the square sounds desirable instead of over the back towards the shops. Thanks again and also to S fowler for the comments.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:10 AM
Cass

Hi, Clare,<BR><BR>We never saw room charges on our bill so I can't tell you the class, but the room number was 304, and I'd say that any rooms numbered in the first decade on each floor (I think there are 4 or so floors of rooms) would have that view. But don't discount the view from the top floors on the other sides -- one would face toward embassies and the Rosenberg palace, and the chimney-pots, etc. on the remaining two sides could be quaint. I believe they have an email address, and you could always inquire.<BR><BR>For what occasion and for how long are you there(what season)? I might offer a couple of recommendations for things to do or ..... if you are interested.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Cass

http://www.remmen.dk/hda.htm is the website but they don't seem to list an address, although I imagine if you actually posted a request for a reservation, the html would pop up in the box for the email.<BR><BR>If you look on the map on their home page, you'll see that only the rear of the hotel really overlooks shops; the other three sides have more interesting views.<BR><BR>Our room was not a suite, but it was a double room (two twin beds pushed together in our case). It was quite spacious by European standards, with a lovely bathroom and -- a nice touch -- a door between entry-way/bathroom entrance and the rest of the room that could be closed to shut out noise from the hall or the bathroom. I'm guessing the suites are at the corners of the building -- the "Danny Kaye" suite and the "Karen Blixen" suites appear before you as you leave the elevator, and our room was about 4 rooms down from them.<BR><BR>There is turn-down service (but no chocolates!). My only complaint: the number of built-on-to-the-rail hangers wasn't quite enough for 2 people with clothes for 4 days of meetings. They do, of course, supply extras if you ask.<BR><BR>Most magical? Aside from an incredible room-service breakfast on our last morning (a very early departure), I loved having the chandeliered lights in a dark corridor spring to light when one entered the hall -- like something out of Renoir's movie "Belle et Bete."<BR><BR>Please let us know if you do book there and what you think.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Clare

Hi Cass,<BR>thanks again for the detail - I will definitely inquire some more about the views, rooms etc. I've booked to go there in June and booked the middle room (superior) so fingers crossed. Regarding things to do - I've actually been in Copenhagen many moons ago (made the mistake of staying at the Palace hotel which was a bit yuck), so will probably revisit the shops and Tivoli etc for a bit of entertainment. I would love to hear the scoop on any hard to find shops or the like besides the ones on the main drag. - Clare

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Cass

Hi, <BR><BR>(I'm at the computer all morning, catching up on inbox stuff).<BR><BR>I won't be much help rehops, because I pretty much confined my wandering to shops around the old part of C'n within about 20 min. walk. But I did take a side trip that I loved, up to Helsingor Castle, which is supposedly Elsinore Castle of "Hamlet" fame, and then to Louisianna -- a modern art museum with gorgeous sculpture garden overlooking the water. It has a great cafe and a pretty okay museum shop, but just walking the grounds is wonderful (and the long string of galleries strung around that garden has some good art and some very silly modern art -- worth a chuckle, even).<BR><BR>Let me know if that appeals and I can give directions (an easy 45 min. train ride involved).