need centrally located hotel in Copenhagen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a centrally located hotel that I can walk to most of major sites. I would like a place under $250 if possible. Location is the most important. Thanks for imput.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Check out the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel. It is right across from Tivoli.

We stayed in The Danmark, which is right across the street from the Town Hall, but the room was a bit too small for me.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I will check them out - I really don't mind a small room if the location is excellent and a good price.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

any other suggestions?
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM

The Square is in a good location and has gotten good reviews.

http://www.thesquarecopenhagen.com/
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM

I would do this:

Stay at the Marriott and get the waterfront view room.

The waterfront rooms are only $20.00 per night more and defintely worth it.

Now from the Marriott you are about 4 block from the Main Town Hall Square........

but as you leave the Marriott and walk down Hans Christan Andersen Boulevard , you pass many nice places and as you come to the Town Hall Square..... you will be walking right beside the Tivoli.

Also ,as has been mentioned the Radisson SAS is across from the Tivoli.

But since you are going to do a lot of walking anyway.....I would take the Marriott waterfront view room over the Radisson..

How long willyou be there.?
What do you want to see.?

Percy
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I am going to be there for 4 nights - I enjoy walking, enjoying neighborhoods and experiencing the culture. I do not have a itinerary planned yet, open to all suggestions. I have never been in this area. Thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM

The Square looks good. Copenhagen is on my wish list of places to visit and while checking it out, I came upon The Square. Also, if it matters to you, it is where Samantha Brown stayed during her trip there for her "Passport to Europe" show.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM

I stayed at the Royal years ago. My room had a beautiful view of Tivoli fantasyland right across the street. Check the dates though because Tivoli is only open about 6 months a year. The train station is kitty corner from the Royal.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM

The Marriott is really good hotel, maybe the best one but has no Danish character at all. Location is a bit further away from the centre but not an issue if you like walking. The Square is very well located as is the SAS Royal.

The Admiral is well located but reviews are not so good since some cannot cope with the quirky rooms (converted warehouse with plenty of atmosphere).
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I stayed at 71 Nyhavn a few years ago. It had lots of atmosphere, a converted warehouse in Nyhavn, low ceilings, beams etc. It is right on the canal and close to the square, transportation, and the walking street.

I really liked it, but....if you want to check it out, be SURE you get a renovated room. There is an elevator right off the lobby that goes to the renovated rooms and then another elevator on the lower level by the restaurant. That elevator goes to the old rooms and some of them aren't any bigger than a closet.

Anyway, because I had a great room, I loved the hotel, great breakfast, very nice staff, very nicely located, and I liked the atmosphere.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM

The Marriott is in a much more quiet location because it is along the River.

The Radisson SAS is right along a very busy boulevard. This may not be a problem for you...because I am sure the rooms are not noisy.

I had a private tour guide in Copenhagen and she told me to stay at the Marriott with the waterfront view.

Whereever you stay you will walk down to the Main Town Hall Square.

Once you have taaken in the Town Hall Square and take a picture of you and Hans Christian Andersen ( his statue is here)

The statue is right across from the Tivoli Gardens...in fact he is looking at the Tivoli Gardens.
then...

look for the street named Stroget( it is across the street)

The Stroget ( Stroy- et) is the longest pedestrian street in Europe.
It has many shops, squares , monuments and dining places.

It starts ( or ends) at the Town Hall Square which you cannot miss because of the towering Town Hall.
It ends ( or starts) at Kongen Nytorv, a lovely circle square with historic buildings.
If you want to stroll along and shop and look...this is the street to do it on.

When you get to Kongens Nytorv at the end of the Stroget, you will come upon Nyhavn.

Have a drink here at one of the sidewalk cafes and do take a Canal Tour as you will see a lot of places like the great Stock Exchange Building, The Church of our Saviour with it's external stair case spiral which you can climb to the top....I did and yes I was a little scared.!!

The views from the top were terrific.
As you take the Canal Tour you will past by buildings number 18, 20 and 68.
This is where Hans Christian Andersen once lived.

I also climbed the Round Tower just a block or so off the Stroget.

This is where Peter the Great rode his horse to the top in 1716.

It is an easy climb because it is a circular ascending ramp and not stairs.!

You have lots of time to see everything in Copenhagen!

The Little Mermaid ( and she is little ) ....well from the Marriott you can walk along the river and you will get there.... if you do walk there wou will be passing by many lovely buildings.

Let me give you a short list of places to see in Copenhagen.

1.Glyptotek ( along Hans Christian Boulevard..near the Tivoli Gardens)

2.Christianborg Place
3. Rosenborg Palace..home to the Danish crown jewels

4.Kastellet Fortress..near the Little Mermaid.

5.St.Alban's Church and next to it The Gefion Fountain( largest Fountain in Denmark).

6.Amalienborg Place (4 identical buildings) and the Frederik's Church, whose Dome was pattern after the Vatican.

7. The Stock Exchange Building is very ornate but you will see this when you are at the Christianborg Palace.

8. Central Train Station.. this is a very nice long brick ornate building and is only a blockaway from the Tivoli Gardens.

ALL these sites can be seen by Walking to them.

9. When you walk down the Stroget to the other end ...which is the Kongens Nytorv... the name of the Stroget will change 5 times !!
that is
okay...just keep walking, you ARE still on the stroget.!!!

Now when you get to Kongens Nytorv... you will be a a lovely Circular Square".. look at the Royal Theatre and look at the Hotel D'Angelterre.
This hotel is the most prestiges in Copenhagen... The Rolling Stones ( among other) have stayed here.

Okay see that huge ship's Anchor...this is the beginning of Nyhavn....rest here have a drink and for SURE take the canal ride ...
because

you will see many of the places I have mentioned.

Oh yes one more thing:

When you are at the Town Hall Square ..go into the Town Hall and see the World Jens Olsen Clock.

This clock is suppose to run for 570,000 years. It was started in 1955.

I will go back in about 100 years just to make sure it is still running !!!

Happy touring in Copenhagen.

Percy

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Another vote for the Marriott..have stayed twice and you can walk to Tivoli and other spots in ten minutes.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM

The Marriott is probably the second-best hotel in the city, behind only the Angleterre. Personally, I find it convenient enough, but it isn't as central as some others. Also, I don't get the appeal of the water rooms and wouldn't pay extra for them. You look across the canal at a bunch of apartment buildings. Looking the other way you don't see much either, but the lights of Tivoli can be pretty.

The Radisson SAS Royal (do not confuse it with the Scandinavian, which is in Amager and not central) is probably a bit more central, but is older and the rooms tend toward the small side.

In addition to the others already mentioned, you might also check out the Palace Hotel. It was recently bought by Starwood and renovated, and is in a nice location across from Radhuspladsen.

In the same general neighborhood is Hotel 27, which is a solid option. Great bar downstairs.

Near Nyhavn, there is the Admiral previously mentioned and the Front Hotel. Front is decent, if unspectacular, but has what I think is a nice location near Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn.

The Skt Petri is a very nice design hotel in what might be an unbeatable location just north of the Stroget, with easy access to Norreport station, which is a major transport hub, including a train station (S-tog), Metro station (with direct access to the airport), and a lot of bus routes.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Another option to mention is Nimb, which is actually in a building in Tivoli. Not sure of the pricing, though. It has a couple of nice new restaurants, a great wine bar, and a branch of a gourmet grocery chain.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Well if I had to be in Copenhagen again...I would stay at the Marriott waterfront room.

Last year ,when my guide told me to get the water front room...I asked the Marriott how much extra it was.

The lady said 100 Krona..which was a little less than $20.00/night more.

So for $10.00 each extra we had a lovely water front room.

Now from my room I saw.

1. The Church of Our Saviour ..the one with the external staircase which I climbed.

2.The Langebro Bridge ... Hans Christian Boulevard goes over this bridge.

3. The lovely steeple of the Christian Kirke Church.

4. Lovely ornate red roofed buildings surrounding the Christian Church.
5. Yes...there were apartments building on the other side ..to the right side of my view.

6. A walk along the canal for 3 blocks to a large Shopping Mall called Fisketorvet.

I remember that after we visited the Mall..we got a Danish beer and were sipping it as we walked along the canal back to the Marriott.

Now to me all that was worth the extra $10.00 per night.... to wake up in the morning and see the traffic across the bridge and the Church Steeples beyond the bridge...

what a nice view both morning and night...not to mention the reflection of lights onthe water at night

I would NOT stay at the Palace Hotel ...unless it is totally renovated now and if not totally renovated ..then you are gambling you will get a renovated room.

The Palace Hotel's claim to fame is that it is directly across from the Town Hall( City Hall) Square and kitty corner from the Tivoli Gardens.

By Radhuspladsen...travelgourmet means the City Hall..that is what Radhuspladsen means.

Hotel 27 is okay and only 3-4 blocks from the Main Town Square or/and the Palace Hotel.

You will see a big black and white signs that read "27"...that's the hotel.
Hotel 27's main claim to fame is that it has the "Ice Bar" here.

You pay an admission fee and they put a silver fur lined coat on you and serve your drinks in large ice cubes hollowed out like a shot glass.

It is cold in here....about -5 to +5
That is the reason for the fur lined coat.

But hey where else can you go to experience this in a bar!! ( yeah ,yeah ..I know in Stockholm!)

Let me just add that when I made my hotel booking last year...the Radisson was charging $69.00 per night more for the room than my waterfront room at the Marriott.....
hmmm

From the Marriott I walked to the Radisson and went inside and checked out the lobby , restaurant and lounge and personally ...I would not trade it for the place I had at the Marriott.

Anyway julieann... at least we are all trying to help you.

Percy

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM

I stayed at THE SQUARE. It is a modern european hotel. The location was fantastic. It is right on the Radhuspladsen (town hall) You are in the middle of everything. I was even able to walk to the train station to get the train to airport. I did many of the things noted in crefloors post above.