Crete

May 4th, 2017, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Crete

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be in Crete for our 1 year wedding anniversary.
We wanted to know your thoughts on best locations to stay in Crete.
We are considering staying at Elounda Beach Hotel and Villas. Is anyone familiar with this hotel?
Any insight with best area to stay in would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
May 4th, 2017, 06:18 AM

JU, I don't have any attitude, but it is useful to know that elounda is something of a purpose-built resort area, attracts a lot of UK people wanting upmarket package holidays ... not so many independent travelers. People who want to travel around and experience the dramatic Cretan landscapes and ancient historic sites tend to seek out different places, and move around, from central to western to Southern Crete. If you're mainly looking to relax and stay in one luxurious setting, Elounda will probably be perfect for you.
May 4th, 2017, 06:27 AM

Too bad a poster has to be a little rude to your response. However, it's best to give as much info on what you are looking for: budget, tastes in accommodations, seek out more tradional rather than touristy areas, how long you plan to stay, etc.

I would recommend staying in Chania on the western end of the island. It's a lovely town with upscale, but still Greek waterfront, lovely Old Town area, lots of shops, markets and taverns, plus archeological/historic sites. Nice walking in and around the Old Town and just a short walk to the "New Town" with more modern shops, markets and where most of the locals live.

I would also recommend staying on or just off of Theotokoupolo St. which has tons of atmosphere and character with a wide range of budgets and accommodations.

While there is good bus service a car rental will give you more options and freedom to see one of Greece's nicest islands.

Give us a lot info and you'll probably get some great advice.
May 4th, 2017, 07:52 AM

We were advised to stay in Western Crete for the most natural beauty. We rented a house in Chania for two weeks and explored from there. Beautiful part of the world.
May 4th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Dogeared was bannedd several years ago. Could be that he/she is headed for the same fate. One can only hope ....
May 4th, 2017, 03:12 PM

We did 8 days last summer, 3 in Rethymnon and 5 in Chania, with day trips.

Here's my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-photos.cfm

Photos are now at: http://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p18934947

As the others have said, if you want to see some of the natural beauty and culture of the island you should stay in some of the towns in Western Crete and think about taking day trips (can be done by renting a car but also quite doable by public transportation). In my trip report I talk about the hotels we stayed in and the logistics of how we got around.
May 4th, 2017, 03:17 PM

Peter, I have been trying to figure out who dogeared use to go by. We just have so many rude people that I try and ignored them.
If we get to Crete we are staying in Chania.
May 5th, 2017, 08:52 AM

I could care less who dogeared is or in fact anyone on the forum. However, I do have a problem when a member is sarcastic, rude, insulting and short with a response.

This forum is about helping travelers, not insulting them or being rude to them or ridiculing them because they don't have the experience of traveling as others do.

When someone asks a question or needs more information it's because they want advice . . . not rudeness.

I have always believe there are not dumb questions only dumb answers.
May 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM

When someone asks for the 'best area to stay', where do all you wise people suggest?

It is not rude, nasty, etc. to point out to a poster that in order to get RELEVANT answers to a question you have, you must first provide RELEVANT criteria that will guide those responding.

Otherwise, all you get is 'here is MY favourite place' which has nothing to do with the question asked. The OP is not asking where anyone else would go, the OP is asking where is best for the OP, not you.

The only honest answer to the question as asked without relevant criteria on which to base an answer, is 'I haven't got any idea where best for you would be.'

As for no dumb questions, only dumb answers, that is one of those trite phrases used to excuse dumb questions.

I'm simply honest about what I read, if anyone else wants to pretend the OP's question is fine as asked, then go ahead and tell the OP 'where the best area to stay' is FOR THE OP. I'd like to see how you come up with such an answer.
May 6th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Actually, the OP did not specifically ask for the best place for HER to stay. She asked for OUR "thoughts on best locations to stay in Crete". She might get better responses tailored to her likes/dislikes if she provided more information. But it was not a dumb question and responses like yours dogeared, are what cause newcomers to this site to quickly leave. Which is too bad as many of the posters here have great insights and can be incredibly helpful.
May 7th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Isabel, that's a ridiculous argument to suggest. Why would the OP want to know where others consider the best place to stay? Think about it. Do you really think the OP isn't actually trying to figure out where the best place is for HER to stay? She isn't interested in knowing where is the best place for others to stay.

I agree that if she had worded the question properly, she would be more likely to get answers to the question that should have been asked to begin with. But only if there was also additional info provided on which people could base a suggestion.

I am more than happy to help the OP if the OP provides information on which I can base a suggestion. Some people need to spend a bit more time trying to educate new posters on how to ask a question and a bit less time worrying about being pc and offending no one under any circumstances.

I wrote, "Best for what? How do you expect anyone to know what you would consider a best area to stay in if you don't provide any information as to what you are interested in?"

There is nothing rude or offensive in that, it is a simple question intended to make it clear what is needed before a relevant (to the OP) answer can be expected. If someone can't read that without seeing it as a personal insult or something, then that person has a problem, not me.
May 8th, 2017, 12:11 AM

"...responses like yours dogeared, are what cause newcomers to this site to quickly leave."

I'd be surprised if we hear from the OP on this thread again.
May 8th, 2017, 12:47 AM

Should not be more than a couple of weeks before dogeared is banned again.