Going to Syros and Crete

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:42 PM
one4choice

Going to Syros and Crete

Going to Syros and Crete the first 2 weeks of June. Would love to hear fellow travelers reviews and recommendations. Thanks much.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopped briefly on Syros while waiting for another ferry to take us to Santorini, but just had lunch in the harbor town. Would like to go back and explore more!

Spent about 10 days on Crete and loved it, especially the western side (west of Rethymnon), which is much more the pure Crete. I always give this example: western Crete, turn on car radio, always Cretan music; eastern Crete, American pop rock.
If you're into hiking, the Samarian Gorge (11 mi., downhill) is a must.
And of course the remains of the Minoan culture at Knossos.
Much to see and do on Crete; good, inexpensive food and great, if not vintage(!) barrel wine!

Have fun!

We stayed in an apt. in a little village near Chania, called Megala Chorafia. Idyllic setting with a view of Souda Bay.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:32 PM

I was in Syros this past September and had a great time. I stayed in Galissas at the Hotel Benois. We were looking for a nice little beach town and this fit the bill perfectly. Hermoupolis the port and captital is a beautiful town much larger than what you see on most of the islands with great shopping and restaurants if there was a beach I would have stayed in Hermoupolis.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Syros is lovely and not really packed with crowds, especially in June. Ermoupoli(the port and capital) is nice but dont stay there. I think Gallissas is the best option, with nice beach, restaurants and good accomodation options.
For Crete, you wont have enough time. I suggest you stay in Hania (really beautiful)and take day trips around, renting a car is the best way to explore. Falasairna, Preveli, Rethymno are only some of the places you must visit and of course Samaria. enjoy
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:10 PM

I hate to say it, but if you use the search function you will find a heap of stuff on Crete- don't remember much about Syros. If that'sa hassle, I have two trip reports on Word. Email me and I'll send them to you- [email protected]
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I loved Syros for the culture and buzz of Ermoupolis. Stayed in a great little hotel called Syrou Melahtron:
http://www.i-escape.com/hotelsyroumelathron.php
and walked up to Ano Syros for fantastic views and photo ops.

And I adored western Crete for the scale and spectacle of its scenery. Samaria gorge is great, but shorter and equally spectacular are Ayia irini and Sirikari gorges. Amazing sand-beach at Elafonisi. Favourite place to stay in this area must be the restored mountain hamlet of Milia, a real gem:
http://www.i-escape.com/miliatraditionalsettlement.php
and reward yourself with a couple nights at a nice hotel in Chania, eg Casa Delfino, Pandora Suites, Porto del Colombo. Good shopping and music there.
Drop me a line of you want more info
[email protected]