Where to stay in Crete?

Apr 16th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sri Sundaram

Where to stay in Crete?

I am going to Crete in June and thinking about staying in Heraklion. Is Heraklion a good place to stay? What hotel should I stay in? Do I need to rent a car or can I use the public transportation system? Thanks for your advice.

Apr 16th, 2002, 08:33 AM
raina

We too are going to Crete, for 2 weeks in July. Although I've visited Greece a number of times, this is my first trip to Crete. Lonely Planet advises that Heraklion is just another big, noisy city, and to see the arch. museum and Knossos and head out of town. We're basing our stay in Chania, a smaller town, and on the southwest coast which is supposed to be less crowded with tourists. Apparently the bus system is workable around Greece, but less so in the southwest. However, in that region ferries seem to provide ample public transportation. We are renting a 4-wheel drive vehicle for a week for 290 euros, which seems quite reasonable. Have fun.

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Sue

I think Chania or even Rethymnon would be better places to stay than Heraklion. Chania, with its Venetian influence, is especially charming. The area to the west of Heraklion is more the "true Crete", less touristy than the eastern area. I think you need to rent a car if you want to see a lot of the island; driving is not a problem there, nothing like driving on mainland. It is a lovely place to vacation!

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:14 AM
fiona

no Heraklion is not a good place to stay but there are many other possible places. If you give a little more information it would be easier to recommend eg age, likes/dislikes, whether you want to laze around or see the sites.

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:15 AM
kavey

When we went years ago we generally found resort towns on the NE coast to be more geared towards drunken youngsters (which we were at the time) and those on the South and West coasts to be more laid back and charming.

We stayed at Hersonissos, nearby Malia was even more wild, and Aghios Nikolaos was similarly noisy though a little more mixed with adult restaurants and cafes.

Although public transport was OK I think a car would really be useful as many ruins we wanted to stop and explore were not in the towns but just there by the roadsides on our routes around the island.

Kavey

Apr 16th, 2002, 11:34 AM
fiona

we have stayed in Stalis, in between Malia and Hersonnisis. It is far quieter than its neighbours, plenty of tavernas and some bars but no nightclubs. We'd go back. During our stay we ventured into both Malia and Hersonnisis and were not impressed. Malis is great if you are under 25 and into clubbing. However Sri, this may be just what you are looking for as I've no idea how old you are!!

Apr 16th, 2002, 12:39 PM
nikkit

if you want some ideas of special places to stay in Crete you might want to have a look at www.i-escape.com - my colleague who knows Greece exceptionally well wrote the Greece section which reviews his favourite places to stay (he's just gone out there this week, so unfortunately can't answer your query)

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:44 PM
mjs

Heraklion is indeed a rather large and noisy city but is centrally located. Crete is a rather large island and a central location does have it's advantage if you want to spend alot of time driving around the entire island.
Having said that, I would advise staying in Chania. We found it to be a lovely place to stay last november. Highly recommend the Casa Delfino as a place to stay if you can get reservations now. They do have a website. We rented a car which cost less tha $200 for about 5 days for four people which allowed us to roam quite freely.