Copenhagen with kids

Search

Copenhagen with kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen with kids

Bear with me: I am in the very early stages of planning this trip. You guys always have great ideas so here goes:

We plan to visit friends in Copenhagen in early August. What are "must-sees" that are kid-friendly but not necessarily kid-centric? Of course we will take them to Tivoli Gardens but I want to find stuff that the adults will like, too. Please tell me what your favorite museums, castles, walks, day trips, etc., are. I warmly welcome suggestions for kid-centric activities as well, especially favorite playgrounds.

I'd really like to get Around the Sound tickets or something similar to see Elsinore and Louisiana. Can we really see both in a single day? Does it make sense to stay overnight somewhere?

A few things you should know:
We won't have a car but could easily be convinced to rent one for a day or two.
I hate boats. I can survive a brief ferry ride but that's about it.
The kids are 7 and 10. They are city kids and can handle walking.

Also, is it crazy to go visit other friends in Amsterdam after Copenhagen? I'm guessing this will be an approximately 10-day trip total.

Thank you!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:16 PM

If you have ten days total then it's definitely possible to split between Copenhagen and Amsterdam. It's a short flight. We had a layover in Amsterdam on our way home from Copenhagen actually since we flew with KLM.

Elsinore and the Louisiana Museum are on the same train line. We did both in one day, but yes, lots of walking esp on coblestones. You can purchase the 24-hr all zone ticket to use for this trip.

Not sure what to recommend for kids because we don't travel with any so I can't pretend I know what they like. I just enjoyed walking around the city and its parks, and seeing bicyclists during "rush hour". Would've liked to also tour the royal library but we weren't there on a day they offer the tour. Oh and we saw the tail end of the change of guards when they came back to Rosenborg. I imagine not the best in the world but we hadn't seen any other before so it was cool to us.

Last edited by Hnh6; Apr 26th, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:43 PM

You can also visit Frederiksborg which is a castle turned national museum. We confess we enjoyed the ice-cream eating and duck watching best.

Frederiksborg
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:04 PM

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/cope...tractions-kids
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 01:40 AM

I can repeat my usual recommendations: Bakken, free entrance to the amusement park, it's nowhere as fancy as Tivoli but there are some great eating places which would suit adults & children,
https://peterlieps.dk/ - you can dine outside if the weather is good and watch the horse & carriages go around dyrehaven (deer park).
Restaurant Bøgely this is inside Bakken, another place you can order a platter of different Danish specialities
Close to Bakken is Bellevue beach with white sand and blue sea (too cold to swim) but it is beautiful around there.

Too bad you hate boats; if you go to Helsingoer, you can take lunch on the Aurora ferry, it is popular with Danes and Swedes esp at weekends, inexpensive buffet lunch with Scandinavian specialities. The kids might enjoy it, you get great views of Kronborg castle. Renting a car is a great way to see the Danish countryside and to take a trip on the ferry to Sweden (in which case you can't have lunch onboard, too short a crossing if you take the car on the ferry) and go to Sofiero Castle just outside Helsingborg (take your passport.). The crossing is so smooth you hardly know you are moving.
https://sofiero.se/en/event/children-sofiero/

I always have a car in Denmark and Sweden, I think you get more out of it as you can stop as and when and go to places the train doesn't go to, sometimes it is just a case of being able to stop at the side of the road and let the kids see highland cattle in a farmer's field or other things that catch your eye. Hornbæk is a very pretty town, lots of boutiques and antique shops, lovely beach, great place for kids to play in the sand, Gilleleje is further up the coast, there is a lighthouse and walking trail close by plus pretty harbour.

In Copenhagen, the kids might like to see the changing of the guard

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/cope...lace-gdk492887
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 01:25 PM

Yes Bakken to me was great (and free not sure if still is) to enter. Lots of shows too. And near a nice beach- as Odin says- if weather is nice a great day out. Also a big deer park in vicinity. I too have done Helsingor and Hamlet's Castle and Louisiana in same day - on same train line. S-tog commuter trains go everywhere in Jutland - area surrounding Copenhagen. For info on where to go by train in area check www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. There is a nice open-air museum of old Danish life a short train ride from Copenhagen:

https://en.natmus.dk/museums-and-pal...rilandsmuseet/