Day Trips in Copenhagen

Jul 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Day Trips in Copenhagen

What are the good day trips during winter (January) from Copenhagen. We are family of 4 and is it better to hire a car?

During 2 days which sights you reccommend in Copenhagen.

Is it possible to take a day trip to Stockholm?
Jul 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM

We were in Copenhagen for 4 nights earlier this month and had a delightful day trip to the Louisiana museum in Humlebaek. It was about a 40 minute train ride followed by a 15-20 minute walk, so I am not sure about it in January. It is a museum of modern art that sits in a beautiful location on a narrow strait between Denmark and Sweden. The art, particularly sculpture in my opinion, is great, but the building and site are worth a visit even if you do not care for modern art. There is a pretty good restaurant in the museum.

A car would be difficult in Copenhagen, and we did not use a car in our two weeks in Scandinavia, but it might work outside of the city.

In my opinion Stockholm is way too far for a daytrip and deserves significant time on its own. We traveled from Copengagen to Stockholm by high speed train, and the trip was more than 5 hours. Both Mrs. JD and I found Stockholm much prettier and more interesting than Copenhagen, but that is obviously a matter of taste.

There are a lot of things to see in Copenhagen. I recommend going to the top of one or more towers in order to take in the views. We stumbled upon Frederik's Church (also known as the Marble Church) and found the view from its dome to be spectacular, with a great view of the opera house, but there are numerous possibilities to get a view from high up.

I suspect that the new opera house would be interesting to tour but we did not pursue that. We found the Danish Resistance Museum very interesting and also enjoyed a walking tour of the central city. The Danish Design Center is well worth a visit if you are interested.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM

What are the good day trips during winter (January) from Copenhagen. We are family of 4 and is it better to hire a car?

I don't think you necessarily want to rent a car. Gas is crazy expensive and public transportation is quite good, unless you plan on taking like a weekend trip and driving around the country.
You could take a commuter train to Malmo, Sweden which takes about 30-40 minutes if I remember, and hang out there for the day (and eat some Swedish meatballs!
Helsingoer is also a popular destination where you can visit Kronborg Castle, the home of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

During 2 days which sights you reccommend in Copenhagen.
Of course you should check out Tivoli (how old are the kids? It's especially good for younger kids but adults enjoy it too…).
If they are a bit older they might find the "free city" Christiania to be interesting (was one of the coolest parts of the city I enjoyed in my 6 month stint in CPH).
Go shopping down Stroeget (apparently the longest pedestrian shopping street in the world?)
The National Museum is, if I remember correctly, free all the time, so that might of interest.
Louisiana is also a pretty popular sight
Being in Denmark, you might want to take a tour of the Carlsberg brewery (if only for the samples lol)
Check out Amalienborg and watch the changing of the guards…
Grab a drink at Nyhavn and people watch!
Also, apparently Copenhagen is now one of the top cities in the world for cuisine, so if you want to splurge then go out and have a nice meal at a Michelin-star restaurant! (or at the very least you have to eat some Smoerrebrod – traditional Danish open-faced sandwiches)

The one thing I found to be a bit of a downer with CPH in January is that the sun sets at like 4:30 and everyone goes into the "Winter Depression", which might make sight-seeing later in the afternoon/evening a bit less fun. But anyways I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Is it possible to take a day trip to Stockholm?
Nooo definitely not. If you want to visit Sweden, I'd suggest just crossing the bridge and staying closeby, like Malmo or maybe Lund
Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM

but you can easily take a day trip to Sweden and do the 'Round the Sound loop Copenhagen-Malmo-Lund-Helsingborg-Helsingor-Copenhagen. I've done this trip twice.

From Copenhagen you take the train across the relatively new bridge/tunnel over the Ore Sound - sweeping views for miles around from the highest part of this very high bridge part - in Malmo just change trains IMO -and head the few minutes to Lund, one of the finest cities in Scandinavia i've ever seen - prestigious university with an American style park-like campus - famous old cathedral - nice buildings, etc.

Then hop on train for Helsingborg, Sweden and hop the incessant ferries going the short distance back to Denmark to Helsingor (passing Hamlet's Castle on the way in) and then hop the train back to Copenhagen.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Tivoli is closed in January, and the National Museum is only free one day a week (and I can't remember which day it is). Fredriksborg Palace in Hillerod is a good day trip.

Rosenborg Palace right in Copenhagen is also pretty cool. If you have a daughter, she might enjoy going into the vault where the crown jewels are, as seen in the movie "The Prince and Me". There is also a pair of very cool big silver lions in the throne room.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Roskilde is a good day trip.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Christiana has been called Copenhagen's number 2 tourist site, right after Tivoli

For a day trip to something really unique and weird and right in Copenhagen head to Christiana, about the only 70s commune left in Europe - The 'Free City of Christiana' - some of its restaurants have been award winners.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM

#
Freetown Christiania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the time there was a lack of affordable housing in Copenhagen. ..... The coins of the Free City of Christiania. ^ All quotes from Politiken, ...
- -
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania - Cached - Similar

hackwriters.com -The Free City of Christiana - Denmark - Eva Bell ...
In this Free City of Christiana, it was 'one for all and all for one.' ... Christiana is a self-governing commune in Copenhagen and is the last bastion of ...
www.hackwriters.com/Christiana.htm
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM

Let me get this right. You are only staying in Copenhagen for 2 days? If so I would not go on a daytrip, but stick to the city.
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM

You don;t want a car in Copenhagen. There are several day trips you can make - but you need to take into account the weather, how few hours of daylight there are, and that some places may have shorter opening hours. You can easily visit by public transit Roskilde, which has a fascianting Viking ship museum as well as a charming church. You can also visit a couple of castles (one being "Hamlet's Castle" just north of Copenhagen.

You can;t do Stockholm as a day trip - it's just too far.

And I assumed you were spending 2 or 3 days in the city seeing major sights there before heading out on any day trips.