Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen or Amsterdam and what day trips?

Dec 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Susan

My husband and I are planning a getaway to Europe without the kids this spring. We are thinking of traveling in early May. We can getaway for a week but may take only 5-6 days. We were thinking of traveling to either Amsterdam or Copenhagen. However we are used to visiting larger cities and places with many sights and musuems (London, Paris, Rome), and we are concerned that possibly a week in one of these places is too long. We would like suggestions on day trips and possibly other close by cities/countries that we could also visit. Also, which city would you choose to visit? Suggestions are most welcome!

Dec 6th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Snoopy

There's as much stuff to see in Copenhagen or Amsterdam as there is in L, P or R. It may not have the historical significance or broad appeal . . . there's no Eiffel Tower in Ams or Cph.

However . . .

Cph:
Day 1 - Stroget, Rosenburg Castle, Amalienburg Palace, Tivoli, Cph Churches
Day 2 - Round Tower, Nyhaven, Little Mermaid, Castellet, Zoo / Botanical Gardens
Day 3 - Bakken (I think it's open in May, not sure), Carlsberg brewery tour, Workers' Museum, Danish Resistance Museum, Louisiana Art Gallery, Dragor
Day 4 - Roskilde Cathedral, Viking Museum, Frederiksberg Castle, Fredensborg Castle
Day 5 - Kronborg Castle, Esrum Kloster, Danish Riviera

Frankly, I'd be bored silly spending very much time in museums and I'd rent a car because there's quite a bit to see outside of Copenhagen.

Amsterdam . . . again, there's plenty to see. Plus, Belgium is only 3 hours away by train, same for Germany . . .

Dec 6th, 2002, 06:58 AM
bettyk

I remember really enjoying our visit to The Hague and the beach at Scheveningen (sp) which is only a short train ride from Amsterdam.

Dec 6th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Anne

If you'd like to take a day trip from Copenhagen, I recommend taking the boat (it's not a ferry, I forget what you call it) to Malmo, Sweden, and then going to Lund. Lund is an ancient university town, quite beautiful, with a magnificent Romanesque cathedral. There's also a pharmacy that looks just like it did 200 years ago, although it dispenses modern medicine. Due to the large student population, it's also pretty lively.

Dec 6th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Snoopy

Anne,

There's a boat (people only), a ferry (people and cars), and a bridge. Why did you say "it's not a ferry"?

Just curious.

Dec 6th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Rick

My wife and I spent one week in each last year and recommend both. I probably would never have gone to Copenhagen except that my wife had a conference there but I was more than pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Copenhagen and Denmark. My journal for the trip is posted at http://www.the-garners.net/ if you want to see what day trips we took from each city. Click on the 2001 Europe trip and scroll down to day 18.
Rick

Dec 6th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Danna

If you like gardens and flowers I suggest Amsterdam with a side trip to Keukenhof Garden. It's breathtaking and early May would be great. I leave it to others to recommend other day trips. I visited Copenhagen as a youth, so have no good advice other than Karlsberg Elephant... such is youth! Have a grand time!