Copenhagen, Rotterdam Hotel

Nov 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen, Rotterdam Hotel

My husband and I will be doing a Holland America cruise in August, 2007. We want to stay in Rotterdam before and Copenhagen after. We like 3 star hotels. Do any of you have experience in either city and could give me suggestions. I've trusted this board before in other places and never been sorry!
Thanks
Nov 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM

I atayed at the 71 Nyhavn in Copenhagen, interestinly IN Nyhavn, last year. MY room was great, but have seen other pictures and reviews that are less that stellar. What I finally figured out is, it depends on what section of the hotel you are in. I just loved the hotel, the breakfast (included in our room rate) was fabulous, the location was wonderful, close to the square, the walking street, the big department store called Magazine, and the bus and metro. Having said that, I was there in the dead of winter so I think in the summer that Nyhavn is much more lively and if you had a room on the canal side, it perhaps could be noisy. I don't know this as fact, just guessing. Also, if you booked a room, be SURE it is in the "new" part of the building where the rooms have been renovated. The rooms in the older part are really really small. The hotel was very clean and cozy, and the staff were very nice and always helpful. Everyone, of course, speaks flawless english.
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you crefloors. Do they have a website? Also what did you mean by interestingly in Nyhavn? Is that a boro of Copenhagen?
I need to do more homework on this I guess.
Nov 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Yes, Nyhavn is an area of old warehouses that have been converted to hotels, apartments, restaurants etc. It was very active many years ago when all the ships would dock there. The buildings line a canal and it is quite picturesque. I loved the area. You can get boat rides there in the good weather, and you night also see about renting bikes if something like that appeals to you. Yes, they have a website. Try googling 71 Nyhavn Hotel Copenhagen...it SHOULD come up. Nyhavn is pronounced roughly "newhown"..go figure. My brother and I just called it the Nottin Hottin when we were talking about it..worked for us!!!! But, don't google Nottin Hottin, don't think it will work!!!! LOL We booked through a travel agency. I had tried booking this through some other websites..discounters, consolidators etc. and the dates we wanted always came up "unavailable" so my brother called a travel agent he had worked with before, and she got the rooms the dates we wanted. Again, loved the hotel, loved the breakfast, loved the location. Reminder, if you DO book this hotel, make SURE you are in the newly renovated part.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
aad

For Rotterdam: Hotel New York, of course. It's the former Holland America Line head office, and it still has that atmosphere. Situated right next to the cruise terminal.
See:http://www.hotelnewyork.nl/eng/index.html
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that recommendation. Have you stayed there or seen it? First hand knowledge is particularly helpful to me but this seems like a great location in any case.