Coastal town near Athens?

Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coastal town near Athens?

We are four 60+ women going on a yoga retreat in Epidavros, Greece in October. At the end of the retreat we'd like to extend our trip for a couple of days by renting a house or apartment in a coastal mainland town in the general vicinity of Athens. We love food, wine, puttering around villages, shopping, and an ocean view. Any recommendations appreciated.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Two towns that are often recommended for a beachfront stay near Athens are Glyfada and Palairo Faliro. I would also suggest Rafina. There is easy and direct access by bus to the Athens airport from Rafina.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Also look at Vouliagmeni. It's about 25 minutes from the airport, 25 minutes or so from Athens.

We have stayed many times at The Westin Athens and Astir Palace, both of which are directly on the coast. The hotels were recently sold, but will, I believe, be open by the time of your trip. It might be worth checking whether there are villas/apts attached to the new properties.

Vouliagmeni is a small town with lots of good tavernas, a gorgeous lake, and beach access, one of which was public as of a few years ago.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM
kja

Although nearer Epidaurus than Athens, Nafplio might be worth considering. Its coastal, but not on the ocean.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 02:56 AM

I opt for Vougliagmeni or Varkiza too (but far away from the noisy mainroad!)
Rafina may be quieter, public transport to Athens city is fine, but neither the restaurant choice nor the shopping possibilities are overwhelming.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 05:45 AM

Vouliagmeni, Varkiza and Palaio Faliro, are all suburbs of Athens..

If you would like to be in a coastal town near Athens, i recommend Loutraki which is about 80 km west of Athens, and a lovely town with a very long beach promenade. You can visit Ancient Corinth, Acrocorinth, Heraion, the Vouliagmeni Lake and the old lighthouse along with the Monastery of Ossios Potapios, just above Loutraki, with a magnificent view over the Peloponnese and the canal of Corinth....

I would avoid Rafina, which i find to be rather ugly, and look for Nea Makri, which is around 15 kilometres further away from Rafina, but much nicer, with a few hotels, a long beach promenade full of cafes restaurantsand Fish tavernas.

Both Loutraki and New Makri can be reached with a KTEL bus from Athens.