help between Athens, Delphi, and Olympia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll be flying into Athens on the 20th of July. I have 11 days to travel in Greece.
I only want to spend a few days in Athens. 2 or 3 days in Athens?

I want to visit Delphi and Olympia. I only want to spend a few days in each city. What would be the best/ easiest way to see both cities and end up back at Athens? (Athens, Delphi, Olympia, Athens) or (Athens Olympia, Delphi, Athens?) Is there a city you would recommend I go to that's in between these cities?

I want to end up back at Athens, because I’ll be island hopping the rest of the time to Santorini and then Crete.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than a day or so each in Delphi and Olympia. You can easily see the ancient sites in less than a day. The towns themselves are small too.

I did enjoy visiting the mountain village Arachova about 30 min. from Delphi.

While you're on the Peloponnese I would spend a couple of days in Nafplion. It is a charming town, and from there you could day trip (several in one day) to Epidavros, Mycenae, Tiryns, Nemea, etc.

I would probably go Athens, Delphi, Olympia, Athens, but I don't know that it matters much. Going from Delphi to Olympia you could stop in Nafpaktos, another charming town on the coast, site of the Battle of Lepanto. When driving from the Peloponnese to Athens you could stop at Ancient Corinth as well. I would probably spend 3 days in Athens, but then I liked Athens.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM

With the limited time you have to travel and the number of places you'd like to see, why don't you consider reversing your itinerary?

Fly to the island(s) first, ferrying between them. Then, when you fly back to Athens, pick up a car and travel the locations on the mainland (Delphi, Olympia), and ending in Athens. This way, you've maximized the travel time and limited your return to Athens.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:45 AM

Greecetravel.com best insider info

More athens and islands for me

Santorini.com my fav aroundcOia ickies.com
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:51 AM

Ikies.com oops
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

I'm not going to rent a car. I travel by bus, train, or ferry. I"ll think about flying to the islands first.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM

Jon if you are not renting a car, you'd do better by returning to Athens between Delphi & Olympia. The busses in between are a nightmare & would eat up 2 days.

Without a car, you must either do a bus tour... or take an overnight per trip; I highly recommend the latter. You can avoid crowds & maximize enjoyment. On my first Greece trip 12 years ago I did a one-dayer to Delphi, hated the experience. This year, went overnight and it was Glorious. For either trip you can sight-see in Athens in the AM, then do KTEL (intercity)bus to destination, come back next day on mid-day bus, do more Athens sightseeing -- in July the Athens ancient sites are open until 8 pm... and sometimes later; Benaki musum FREE on Thursday open until midnight! NOTE: do taxi to KTEL bus stations, local busses too confusing for non-Greeks.

OLYMPIA -- Taxi to KIfissou KTEL Bus Sta, €10. 1-way Olympia 5:30hrs, to Pirgos, 5hr. €26-28. http://www.athensguide.com/practical...schedulesA.htm Good budget hotel = Hotel Hercules. Best tip: Get to site 8 am, go Directly to Museum It will be empty, because tour groups do outside first. FAB MUSEUM! Then go outdoors... you can bus back noonish.

DELPHI -- Taxi to Lission KTEL station €10-11. 1-way to Delphi, €15, 3+hours. In late aft, go to Museum, open until 8. Empty! Glorious mountain views! Next am at 8, enter site; you will beat bus tours... you can fully appreciate in 3+ hours, have lunch, get 1:30pm bus back. Good hotel = PAN, back rooms are half-way up a mountain. Birds circle BELOW yr balcony.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM

I have to disagree with Jan on one point here, do the Delphi & Olymia trip without returning to Athens. A bus to Delphi in the morning of day 1, explore part of site, all of site, or museum,overnight, complete anything not done the previous day, 13.15 bus to Patras,
http://www.ktel-fokidas.gr/?module=d..._id=32&lang=en
Then there are numerous buses to Pyrgos, from where there is a regular service for the last short hop to Olympia. Overnight there & then back to Pyrgos for a direct bus back to Athens, either arriving late on day 3, or have another night in Olympia for an early start the next day.
This could also work in reverse.