Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel suggestions - close to Athens however prefer ocean

Hotel suggestions - close to Athens however prefer ocean

May 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Hotel suggestions - close to Athens however prefer ocean

We may be spending an extra day in Athens and would prefer not to stay in the hustle bustle for the whole time. Is there an oceanside, more peaceful location (close to Athens) that you can recommend ? $200 budget (flexible). We are not interested in touring Athens that day as we have 2 oher days in the plaka area to do so?
THANKS
May 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Check posts written by YIASSAS, who recently answered one of mine with the names of two suburbs on the sea close to Athens. Vouliagmeni, another suburb on the sea, only 30 minutes by car from central Athens is sometimes referred to as " the Athenian Riveria", but the hotels I know of there ( The Westin Astir Palace, The Divani) are pretty expensive. Good luck!
May 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Check areas of Vouliagmeni, Voula & Glyfada.
I haven't stayed in any of the hotels down by the coast, but I've seen many which are high end cost. A lower budget one with mostly good reviews that 2 different friends have stayed at more than once is 'Blue Sky Hotel, Glyfada'. Situated close to transport for central Athens, Piraeus & the airport.
Check on booking.com, put in the different areas I mentioned, followed by Athens. Lots of choice, some at very reasonable rates.
May 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM

You can also go to Loutraki. It would be about 100 euro to the airport from there if you don't want to deal with taking a taxi to Corinth and the Proastiakos to the airport.
May 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM

Hi

We stayed at the Coral Hotel - http://www.coralhotel.gr. Located in Paleo Faliro. Smog free air! Not the best beach but convenient access to the centre.
May 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM

marking
May 17th, 2010, 01:08 AM

The info I found at www.greektravel.com was very helpful in planning my trip, even though I was staying with a friend. I suggest you at least visit Hydra or Aegina for an overnight. It will give you another perspective of Greece.

The Acropolis ticket USED to be good for four days,(2004) giving you the opportunity to do that huge HOT complex bit by bit at your convenience.Not sure about the situation now, but a warning it is exhausting to try to do it all in one day.

When we took the 4E bus( 2004) to Sounian, we passed many nice beach front hotels across from the tram lines. Then, closer to Sounian there were a couple resorts right ON the water.

Search this Thread