COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotels in Athens and Delphi?

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Athens and Delphi?

Our first choice in Athens (AVA) has no availability, so I'm trying to decide between Athens Gate and O&B, or some funkier place (Periscope? Fresh?). We're only in Athens for 2 days, so convenience to the historical sites is a factor. We would consider an upscale B&B or inn-type place too (though there don't seem to be any of those in Athens).

Also, any recommendations for Delphi, or a charming place on the way from Athens to Delphi?

Thank you!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:51 AM

greecetravel.com

good insider info

Attalos is nice in Athens

Intercontinental

best for price betterbidding.com priceline.com

have picked it up for as little as $80/nt there.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM

From your choices the Athens Gate is better located than any of the others, a good hotel too.
qwovadis has mentioned the Attalos, convenient location, but nowhere near as nice. The Intercontinental is not so central.
Others for convenience are the Airotel Parthenon, Hermes, Central, Cypria, Astor, Amalia, there are others but that's a few to start!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM

Cypria is also nice. No views but very central, just off Syntagma Sq. When I stayed last June I booked a Superior Room, and at check-in was upgraded to Luxury at no extra charge: http://www.athenscypria.com/article.php?id=17
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM

AVA was our first choice for Athens but had no availability for all of our nights so we went with Athens Gate. AG has good reviews and a good location. For Delphi we booked the Amalia. Haven't gone on our trip yet-we arrive Athens June 8-so can't give first hand recommendation. Hotels I booked for our stay were based on their reviews, price, location, etc.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM

"A' Class" Hotels in Delphi are Delphi Palace and Amalia (on the same area-outskirts of Delphi on the opossite direction of ruins) and Vouzas (first hotel you meet on the left entering Delphi walking on the main road). On my opinion all of them are a bit dated,I would stay on a B&B and save my money for other activities.
All other "hotels" in Delphi are more or less B&Bs or B&Bs with a restaurant owned by same propriators attached to them. I don't know what an "upclass B&B" is supposed to be, all of them have basic,clean and tidy rooms on the small side. Ask for a room with a valley view!
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your ideas. Now it looks like AG does not have availability either! I will keep trying. . . .