Coach from Heathrow

Sep 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Coach from Heathrow

I'm traveling from Heathrow to Cheltenham. Both my husband and I have a large piece of luggage. Will they be allowed on the coach? Do I tell them when I book it (and maybe pay extra)?
Sep 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM

How large is large? Luggage is stored in a compartment underneath the coach. It's pretty good sized, but if you're in doubt, telephone the coach company and ask about allowable dimensions for luggage. National Express allows two medium-sized cases weighing up to 20kg each plus one small piece of hand luggage per person. Someone should be able to explain what is meant by 'medium-sized.'
Sep 19th, 2010, 06:35 AM

From the National Express website:

We shall have no obligation to carry luggage in excess of the permitted amount or size but additional pieces of hold luggage, or 'outsized' items, will be permitted, subject to space being available, and on payment of a charge for each extra piece. The charges will be £10.00 single journey per item (one journey can be multi-leg) or £15.00 return journey per item. A maximum of three chargeable items can be taken in the hold (maximum 5 overall). Other items must have no one dimension greater than 85cm. Items of luggage significantly in excess of 23kgs may be charged. Priority will be given to customers travelling with luggage within the free limits. Customers will be permitted to 'pool' their individual allowances if they are travelling in a group or as a family, but they must be travelling on the same ticket. If the customer pre-purchases excess luggage and there is insufficient room to take the luggage, he/she will have to wait for the next service where priority to board will be given.

Read the full text of the luggage policy at:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach...ge_policy.aspx
Sep 19th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Define large. If reallllyyy big, then consider breaking down to two pieces of luggage, since each of you are allowed 2 pieces for free.
Sep 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Coach or not -- really large bags are a pain (in more way than one). How big are you talking about, and what is the rest of your itinerary like? Schlepping huge suitcases isn't fun.

How much "stuff" do you need?
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

My luggage is 28" x 19" x 10". To me, it seems big, but I usually travel for short trips only with a 20" x 14" x 8" piece of luggage, so ... I'll see if I can get dimension for "medium" luggage according to National Express standards.

Thanks for the helpful info!
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM

28 inches is very large -- and VERY heavy if they are filled. Can you each handle that sized bag on your own?

"I usually travel for short trips only with a 20" x 14" x 8" piece of luggage"

You don't need a larger bag just because the trip is longer. I travel w/ a 21 inch bag whether going for 4 days, 4 weeks, or 4 months.

Now if you are moving to Cheltenham - that would be different.
Sep 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm - good point. I'll reassess to see how much I can downsize.
Sep 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM

We often take 28" suitcases on coaches from Heathrow. No-one turns a hair.

The luggage compartments (which account for about a quarter of the coach's cubic capacity) are easily big enough to hold something that small, and few coaches are full enough for the luggage to come anywhere near the coaches' storage capacity

Your risk is what happens in the highly unlikely event of your coach being absolutely full of passengers, each with two medium cases. Were that to happen, yours would be the first to be left behind, and you with it.

However, that risk really is very, very low.It's not unheard of for the Heathrow coach service I use most often to be full of passengers, so every couple of years I have to wait for the next one (which, at the time of day coaches fill up, is 20 mins later). I've never, ever, seen the luggage compartments fill though.

Things might be different on the Cheltenham run, where coaches are infrequent, the alternative to the direct coach (coach to Reading, then train) can be a pain and taxis cost a fortune. But I wouldn't panic.
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flanneruk! I take it there is no assigned seating, but rather "first come, first served." I plan to get my e-tickets today for my trip on Sept. 29, so it probably won't matter that I purchased early, right? If I'm close to first in line, will they take my luggage or do they wait until everything is loaded and if there's room, they will put mine on?
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM

My comment about the size of the bag really had nothing to do w/ the coach trip. As flanner said -- unless the coach totally full, the bags will fit in the hold. But managing really large/heavy luggage is a bother. Stairs, small B&B rooms, on/off buses and trains. It would be easier all around if you could downsize a bit
Sep 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Very good point! I'm reconsidering my luggage (and the amount of stuff I'm taking!).