clothes to bring?

Aug 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

clothes to bring?

Just curious about what shoes to bring to Ireland. We are renting a car so we have somewhat limited space. My first thought was to bring my tennis shoes and sandals, but I'm wondering if I should bring my waterproof hiking boots.
Aug 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Are you going to be hiking? We just took our sandals and good walking shoes (in my case they were my New Balance tennis shoes). We were there in April several years ago.
Aug 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Sandals? I wouldn't bring open foot shoes to Ireland or Britain, rains too dang much. And if you're going anytime other than summer, it'll be too cold.

That waterproof hiking boot option sounds better.
Aug 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Trail running shoes! Basically, a hybrid between hiking boots and running shoes. REI is one place to look, though I'd recommend a trip to your local outdoor sporting goods store or a specialty shoe store to ensure a proper fit. I'm not sure what you spend on shoes at the moment, but these trail runners can be a bit pricey (north of $100 in some cases), but they are incredibly durable, provide great support and are very, very, very comfortable. These shoes come in a variety of color options, so you can find a color that is fairly low-key (no glaring white trainers). Mine have Gore-Tex, so they're great in the rain, and the more rugged sole is well-suited for older streets, slippery surfaces, etc... Finally, they are much lighter than traditional hiking boots, taking up less space/weight in your luggage and less effort on days with lots of walking.
Aug 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I always take my walking sandals to Europe with me. It was 65o when we were in Ireland and warm last year in May when we were in London, didn't need a jacket during the day. (You never know)

If you have the waterproof boots already, take them, but I wouldn't go out and buy new shoes to take.
Aug 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM

"If you have the waterproof boots already, take them, but I wouldn't go out and buy new shoes to take."

Isn't that the point of going places - so that you get to buy the new stuff you "need"?
Aug 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM

what month? i always wear sandals traveling in europe in the summer. and sneakers.

are you going to be doing strenuous hiking in weather that waterproof hiking boots are really necessary?
Aug 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling in September and planning on probably our longest hike being 6 miles.
Aug 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I wouldn't take sandals. I was there in June and only wanted open-toed shoes once. Ireland doesn't get that hot - average high in September in Limerick is only 66 F. Not to say that you won't hit a warm spell, but still.

Waterproof shoes wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you plan to hike regardless of the weather. I'd bring something sturdier than tennis shoes for a six-mile hike, but I wouldn't break the bank on them.
Aug 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM

IMHO sandals are simply not practical is Ireland - or Scotland/England unless you have several other pair of shoes. It rains on too many days (even if only part of the day) to get much use out of them. You do need 2 pair of waterproof walking shoes. Hiking boots not necessary unless you have a lot of heavy duty hiking planned (unnecessary for country walks).