What are your favorite hiking shoes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in our early 50's and are going to the Canadian Rockies in July. I'm trying to decide what shoes I should bring. I'm not a serious hiker, but I'm wondering if I should invest in something besides gym shoes for our trip as we do plan on doing a lot of hiking/walking. What are your favorite walking/hiking shoes?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Unless you can wear the new shoes on a couple good strenuous hikes BEFORE leaving on the trip, I wouldn't buy any now. The reason is that you will need to break them in to prevent foot issues. There is nothing worse than hiking all day in a pair of new shoes.

More important is to get good socks that fit with your shoes. When you're hiking, your feet will be moving within your shoes (to the front with the downhills, to the back with the uphills). You want socks that will prevent rubbing and won't stick to your feet as you go. Years ago, they used to recommend wearing nylon knee highs under the socks, but I think they've got better socks nowadays. Check with your local REI for good recommendations.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I totally agree with toedtoes about buying new hiking shoes if you cannot break them in pretty well - would hate to see you spoil a trip due to sore feet. But, if the gym shoes you are planning on bringing are pretty old (ie. very sloppy on the foot) - that too poses problems.

You could look at buying a new pair of trail shoes that are comfy from the get go and start wearing them every day from now until when you leave. The last two pair of trail shoes I've bought have been Asolo and I have been very lucky to never suffer from sore feet in them. As toedtoes mentioned, good socks are undoubtedly equally important.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM

blackmons: I am same age and recently bought Merrell trail shoes. I hiked with them first outing in the white mountain in New Hampshire and to my surprise they were so comfortable from the first time I put them on and didn't get even one blister. I got gortex which keeps my feet completely dry even if immersed in mud or water. Many different manufacturers make trail shoes, just try them all on to find the ones that are comfortable for you. I think they are perfect for easy to moderate hiking. It is like night and day the traction you get with these compared to sneakers - well worth it!

I am going to the Canadian Rockies Wednesday and they will be the shoes I wear for all hiking.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM

I love Merrill day hikers. I am on my third pair, and each has been comfortable for me from the first hike. You shouldn't have to break in hiking shoes for them to be comfortable, but you should hike in them before you go to make sure they are comfortable. Smartwool makes great socks that wick any moisture away from your feet.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 03:35 AM

I agree with what everyone says about Merrell's. I hike weekly and it's what I wear. I have feet that easily blister and have never had a problem.
You will notice a huge difference in grip compared to a running shoe. You will wear them at home too so it won't be a waste of money.
I have Merrell street shoes too, for work and errands. I get stopped almost daily with people asking me where I got my shoes.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM

There's nothing like Mephisto's.Paul
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a pair of gortex Merrells today at REI and am going to wear them as much as I can before the trip. Amazingly, they said I can return them if they turn out to be uncomfortable.
Laurie
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Wow! That's a nice guarantee! Good luck with them.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM

My husband actually bought Gortex Merrell hiking shoes at Dick's & is wearing them for work this summer as an alternative to boots & really loves them!