Versatile shoes...

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versatile shoes...

Okay, one more question We're going to be going to CR in the rainy season, and doing a lot of hiking in Arenal & Manuel Antonio. I see a lot of you suggest Keens - but there's so many types! With all the creepy crawlies (I hear there's TONS of ants) I'm not sure I want the "open" type water ones for hiking...what do you suggest? And if you do suggest Keen's, which types? If you do/have worn the open sandal ones, are there any concerns over getting bitten by bugs or anything (I would think there's problems with rocks getting in)?

I was originally going to get some kind of hiking boots and a pair of those cheap water "booties", but if it's in the Rainy season I'm kinda worried the boots will get soaked and never dry...plus in places like MA it seems easier to just wear H20 type ones than have to take your shoes on & off. Thank you!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM

There are amphibious shoes out there now that have netting instead of openings. They do keep sticks and rocks and probably bugs out better, though my podiatrist likes the Keens better. Try googling Saloman Tech Amphibians and Merrel Aquasports. Happy trails!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM

I have been really happy with my Dunham hiking shoes. This is a small New England work shoe company that was purchased a couple of years ago by New Balance. Since then, NB has gradually been adding their top flight orthopedic know how to the Dunham products. I have some pronation problems, and I have been a NB believer for a while.

I have a pair of Dunham 912 hikers. These shoes are cut like tennis shoes. They are water resistant, and quick drying when wet. They have a waffle pattern that gives great traction. I wore these in Monteverde and Arenal last year, and my feet stayed fairly dry on some long hikes. The shoes dried quickly overnight, and were ready to go again the next morning.

I actually purchased a similar pair online today for my wife. There is a great site out there: www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com. I was able to find her a pair of $95.00 Dunham hikers for $28.00. I have purchased several pairs of NB and Dunham for good prices over the last few years. I get their promotional Emails. You just have to pay attention, and buy em when your size is available.

Just so you know. I don't have any financial interest in Joe's. Just a happy customer.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM

I have a pair of Salomon Amphibians and I would say I was so-so with them. I didn't like the grainy feel of stuff getting in my shoes. My Columbia & Lowa hiking shoes (cut like tennis shoes) are the best (for me), I just am careful with keeping them dry for the most part.

Thanks for the link Pat, will definitely check it out, seems like their prices are great!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I have serious arch issues and am partial to Merrell's because they just happen to fit me very well. I have a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators that are wonderful for hiking. They wick away moisture and dry quickly although they are not waterproof. Merrell's Chameleon Arc Gore-Tex are waterproof.

Thanks Pat for the link to Joe's. I just checked it out, and the prices are phenomenal. The women's Dunham Hiking 910s are only $28.49. I may order a pair. They also have a 14 day price guaranty, and even though it is an outlet site, all items can be returned for either an exchange or cash refund, which to me is extremely important when buying shoes over the internet. And they have clothes too, also at great prices.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, those Dunham look great and the price is even better! Looks like I'll grab a pair of those and maybe some water-booties along with a small & light pack to keep them in for hiking...all for the cost of what I expected to spend for one pair! I'll check out the other shoes though, especially for hiking out here in the Sequoias!

I'm assuming since these are quick drying it would be okay to even step in streams with these on? And you don't wear socks with them when you hike? I've never seen any kind of quick-drying socks and I know how annoying it is once your socks get just a bit wet.

Thanks for all the help, this will be my first "real" hiking aside from dry/desert-like places so I'm not "in the know" for wet/muddy hiking. Last thing I need is blistery/infected feet from being stupid!