hiking shoes and a good crushable hat

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiking shoes and a good crushable hat

Hi all,

I've got a few pairs of really good hiking boots, one of which is gonna make the trip with me unless I can come up with a good pair of hiking shoes instead. (the dang boots can be so unwieldy to pack)

I don't need comfy walking shoes or sandals, I just need to get something that I can wear tromping in Switzerland as well as horseback riding (although it may be kinda late to break something new in anyway). My current boots are Merrills and Vasques, anyone have any favored pair of shoes they like for hiking?

also - I should get a good crushable hat for all this outdoors stuff I am gonna be doing. anyone have recos on a good water resistant hat with brim that crushes right up so you can pack it easily?

this is what happens when you are essentially going on two different kinds of trips...

thanks!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:07 AM

I have had excellent luck with Lowa's. My backpacking ones never needed breaking in and that convinced me to buy some low, dayhiking ones. Those too were great from day one! REI is where I buy mine. On the REI outlet website you can get last years models for about $55 vs $95 or so. Also, the Lowa website has their own clearance room and they have those same great deals. Can't help you with the hat...I never wear one.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Strongly recommend you forget all this brand stuff.

No matter what shoemakers say, one person's cushion of air is agony for someone else. Get to a decent outdoor shoe shop, write off a couple of hours, and try on as many different shoes as you can.

Do so preferably at the end of a day when you've been walking outdoors, so your feet are as swollen as they'd be hiking.

Then organise your life so the shoes are broken in before you start doing serious walking. Wear them round the house, or to go shopping, or at the office.

And ignore other people's recommendations - especially salesmen's. No one else has your feet.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

good advice from both. thanks. will be scouting starting today.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I assummed that flygirl knew how to shop for boots/shoes since she already has a few pairs. She was asking for recommendations so I told her what works for me. Yes, each persons feet is different and so each brand/model will feel different to each person...but no harm in recommending ones to try.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:56 AM

mms, thanks for the advice about Lowas website. I took my Merril mocs with me for some light hiking last month but for serious hiking I like the ankle support of a good hiking boot.
Even though each person's foot is different and one brand fits all doesn't apply to shoes, a good bargin should be appreciated by any wallet size.
Blessings
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:46 AM

If you're planning on serious hikes in Switzerland rather than just light treks I recommend you seriously consider just bringing the boots for ankle support because you'll need it. If you give me some idea of where you plan on going in Switzerland I can give you further advice (I live near Luzern). Otherwise, I second Lowa's. I can't live without mine.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Hi flygirl,
I am hesitant to post this as I am sure I will be taken for a "clod" but I wore my heavy shoes to Africa (they were those heavy tennis shoe like boots) because of the packing issue. That way I packed the other shoes (1 pair) I took. I did not look too cute but since we were only allowed one soft side small bag for the safari I decided to just wear the big boots. You may be too cool to do this but it worked for me. (Pleeeeeeease no feedback on how this is a "no no."
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Chris

Define serious? no backpacking, just day trips, maybe some will even be around lakes - lower elevation. let's put it this way, one time I went hiking near Interlaken with just sneakers and was A-OK. this was a cable car up and a hike back down. I tend to anticipate that level of hiking.

this time - I will stay in Zermatt 2 nights, and near St. Moritz (Pontresina) for a few nights as well. otherwise, Vevey (near Geneva) and my last night is Zurich.

I am tempted to just bring the boots, but, they take up a good chunk of my luggage and I don't really want to wear them on the plane (although I could I suppose). I also will spend half of my trip in France (primarily Brittany, so maybe some rock scrambling there, but low level) and Normandy.

I'd like something I can wear on low-stress hikes as well as horseback riding and just rambling around - this trip will be mostly outdoors this time.

thanks!
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM

From the sounds of it in Zermatt you would probably do something like the hikes to Z'mutt and take the train up to Gornergrat and hike around there. And more of that sort of thing around Pontresina. Assuming that, you should be fine with shoes rather than boots. Have a great trip! The hikes I tend to do where you would definitely need ankle support are much longer 6-8 hours over high passes with lots of rock scrambling,uneven terrain, and more off the tourist path.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
KT

I'll admit it. I'm a clod like mimipam. When I go on a trip requiring hiking boots, I wear them onto the plane. Since I normally take off my shoes on the plane and wear slippers, the on-plane comfort factor is the same as if I'd worn shoes, though the boots do take up more of the underseat space. So if you do decide to bring the boots, that's one way of dealing with them.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Faux never goes on an outdoor trip without her Tilley hat. Not stylish but great hat!

Faux sure!
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Check out the Adventure hat on the Magellan site. It provides great coverage of your head, neck, and ears and packs flat.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM

DW loves her Montrail Java GTX. Says they're the most comfortable hiking shoes she's owned, including Merrell and Lowa. Good support, lightweight, waterproof.

And believe me, I'm not a shoe salesman (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I had an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Gore-Tex hat from REI that didn't do much for me in terms of style, but was practical--rainproof, adjustable size, chin strap.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:48 PM

please consider wearing them on the plane! Why not? Given the comments on this site I'd rather get on a plane with hiking boots than shorts and tevas
did I ever tell you about the time that I tried to get through the Boston airport wearing boots with a steel last about a month after Richard Reid's shoe incident? Stupid is as stupid does.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM
ita

Tilley's Endurables-water repellent hat
www.Tilley.com

Old May 13th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Gee, if enough of us start getting on planes with our hiking boots then the "in" look will be hiking boots and sunblocking hats. I daresay that the next time someone asks what to wear in Europe the debate will range over whether one should wear ankle supporting boots or just black mocs.
(I'm just kidding! Hmmm sort of)
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM

I've worn my backpacking boots on the plane before too. Not the most attractive thing, but it worked
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Tilley hats are the best. I've worn one for over 20 years and have three different models.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -