clothes for rome

Search

clothes for rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothes for rome

My husband and I are going to Rome in a few weeks (yay!) and I was wondering what type of clothes to bring. We aren't planning on going anywhere too fancy, but I also don't want to miss out on anything or restrict our choices by dressing too casually.

Will my husband be okay wearing khakis and a polo shirt, or should he bring something dressier? Will I be okay with black pants or a skirt and a casual blouse?

Also, what sort of weather should I expect? I looked up the current temp...it is 59 and sunny. Not bad. I am thinking of bringing a fleece jacket plus a rain coat. Is that reasonable? I don't need to bring a heavy winter coat, right? Maybe I'll throw in a hat, scarf and gloves, so I can use those if it is really cold.

I don't want to over pack, but I also don't want to find myself without appropriate clothes. Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks,
Kasey
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Just wear jeans if you like wearing them. Black pants are good. A raincoat is always useful. Don't bring a heavy wintercoat, and I doubt you will need a hat and gloves, though a scarf is always handy. Or buy one there. Good comfortable shoes are essential. Unless you are planning to go to very formal restaurants, you will not need anything dressier than what you are planning to take.
Have fun!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Hi Kasey -

I just returned from Rome and I agree with Tulips. Even when it rained, Rome was never really cold. I also had a fleece jacket and a raincoat and I wore them both, mostly the jacket. (I'd also bring a small umbrella.)

We found that most of the places we ate were very casual and never felt inappropriately dressed in pants. There are some quite upscale restaurants where we noticed the men wore jackets and ties and the women had their fur coats. (These were Italians and they had obviously been to a theater of some sort near the Spanish Steps.) But there were many more places to dine where the atmosphere was more informal. It really just depends on what you want to do.

I'm in the process of posting my trip report if you'd like to check it out. Is this your first trip to Rome? The one thing I learned was, know what it is vital for you to see and then just relax and enjoy it. Rome is beautiful and a lot of fun and you will have a wonderful time!

Buon viaggio!
Linda
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track and that we don't have to bring anything fancy. This is my first trip to Rome (to Europe, actually) and I'm very excited. I'll be sure to check out your trip report.

Thanks again!
Kasey
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I am just in the door from a weekend in Rome (2 hours south of where I live) - yesterday was fine, today was raining, cold early both mornings but warmish mostly. A light rain coat/jacket is what you need - not winter coat - a few layers is always the best. The most important thing is to have comfortable shoes, you need to walk a lot in Rome and it is a killer!

The only time you really need to worry about a dress code is when you visit churches but until the weather gets hot that usually isn't a problem.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I have been to Rome many times in March and April and it is ususally warm. I would wear a light jacket over a thin sweater or long sleeve t-shirt. My husband and I were there last year at the end of February and I was surprised to find it very very cold and damp. I didn't have anything warm enough to wear and was cold the whole time. If it doesn't take up much room in your suitcase, I'd definitely bring the fleece jacket or another good layering piece to wear under your raincoat if it gets cold and maybe throw in a warm sweater. I wouldn't bring a big coat since that is a waste if it is warmer but you might want a few warm pieces just in case.
People aren't necessarily formally dressed, just neat and stylish.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM

I hope kaseyh doesn't mind my piggy backing on this note. I'll be in Rome, Florence, Venice and Le Marche in first half of May. Too warm for cotton turtle-neck or mock-turtle?

Vera
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Given: It's impossible to predict the weather.

That said, I was in Rome during the first week of April last year and needed no more than a light, waterproof coat over a thin sweater. And on many day, I left the jacket in the hotel room.

I wore jeans, khakis or black pants with casual tops and never felt out of place -- granted, though, we're street-food and casual restaurant fans, so you might want to adjust that for your habits.

Likewise, your husband will be fine in most situations with his khakis and polos.

Absolutely, good walking shoes are the most vital attire you can bring. You will be awed by the Italian woman's ability to navigate cobblestones in the skinniest, highest stiletto heels I've ever seen.

Personally, I'd leave the gloves, scarves and hat at home -- mostly because they sell such beautiful gloves and scarves there...happy shopping!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:37 AM

" I also don't want to miss out on anything or restrict our choices by dressing too casually."

If you plan on going to smart bars, nightclubs, and restaurants then you won't be allowed in, or certainly won't feel comfortable sitting there in casual attire, but that's not an Italian thing, it's a global thing.

Bring jackets with, a black jacket can be dressed up for the evening, or worn with a pair of casual trousers or jeans during the daytime. Also, short-sleeves might be a little cool for Rome, so a light blouson style jacket could be useful.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM

Hi There Kasey,
My husband and I just came back from Rome. I wore a fleece vest with a fall jacket all week and was fine.
I did buy a scarf in Florence however because it was chillier there.
Take your travel umbrellas just in case!
We wore jeans the whole week which made it very easy to pack.
Have a wonderful time!!
Betty
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:22 AM

ttt
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Hi Kasey,

Your clothing plan sounds fine for both you and your husband.

The only change I would make would be to take a medium weight blazer or jacket instead of the fleece jacket. A little nicer looking. Although Rome is full of tourists and you will see them wearing everything imaginable, some things you can't imagine too!

I've taken a knee length rain coat to Italy 3 times now and have never used it! I would take one again though for March and April weather. Don't bother with the hat, gloves, and scarf.

Buon viaggio!