Rome in October...What to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Rome the first week of October. What type of clothing should I plan to pack? I will be flying from Rome to Paris and am hoping that the clothing recommendations are similiar. Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM

You should plan on clothing appropriate for your activities. Will you be going to any nicer restaurants? Will you b going to the ballet or opera or symphony or other special event? If so, you will need some nicer clothes for evening. Otherwise you can stick to regular day clothes, with layers, since the weather can go from warmish during the day to coolish at night. Be sure your day shoes are well broken in and waterproof and you have a sturdy folding umbrella.

I avoid jeans since they are heavy to pack and really can;t be washed. And I want shoes that are cute as well as comfy.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Layers. Rome will likely be warmer than Paris in early October. We were in Rome the first week of October last year and the weather was warm during the day and mild at night. Who knows what it will be this year. Thus, slacks with tops you can layer as needed.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Lucky you!
Rome will be slightly warmer than Paris. It is very easy to pack for both. I was able to take only a carry on for a similar 15 day trip. I like to take a black jersey skirt and some nice tees, my Onex wedges, a couple of scarves, nice blue jeans, two cardigan sweaters, one black, one white, 2-3 pairs of black or dark pants. I don't take a raincoat because it takes up too much room. If it rains I buy an inexpensive tiny unbrella. I wrote an article about packing for a trip to Europe in the fall, you can read it at www.AnniesNuggets.com and look for "Help for a Heavy Burden."
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 02:24 AM

It was in the 70's in early November last year, so I think you can get away with mostly lighter clothes, with perhaps a cashmere cardigan for evening.

We also had a big morning thunderstorm followed by rain all day, and a tiny umbrella would not have been enough, though they are sold everywhere on the street by immigrants.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 02:47 AM

Layers quality dark designer stuff to blend for me

drip dry cottons work best sweater GorTex rain hacket

with hood for me for nortern climes.

Roma remains quite warm in fall T shirt weather during

the day... avoid shorts Tank tops garish colors label

you as a tourist therefore a theft magnet...

insuremytrip.com always wise onebag.com for tips for me

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM

My tip to fit in - Italians dress for the season, not the weather. Having said that, I will be packing sandals in late September.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Dear Destry, actually, you never know, since you might either be still going to the beach or ravaged by rains, but generally speaking, you absolutely can not compare Rome to Paris. The rule is, the first week of october (and even the rest of the month) is usually mild. No shorts, of course, no open shoes, but t-shirts and sweaters, and light jackets are more than fine. Hope you will enjoy our city! Ciao!
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Be sure you pack scarves for Paris - it's a must - or buy some there. It is THE look. FWIW, I never wear t-shirts. Don't wear them here so I certainly wouldn't take them on a trip abroad. (No objection if you're under 18.) Am sure you can find a selection of casual tops to put with light jackets. (Check out Coldwater Creek or Chico's)
Enjoy your trip.