Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Closings to expect in Germany during May public holidays

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During May public holidays in Germany we will be in Rothenburg on May 17th (Ascension Day) and Munich on May 27 and 28 (Pentecost). Will most museums and major tourist sights be open or closed? Do many of the restaurants close on these days? In Munich my research indicates that the Deutsches Museum is open but the Pinakothek art museums are closed. Will beer gardens be closed??, please tell me that won't happen!! I'd like to know what to expect as our scheduled days in Munich are May 27, 28 & 29th. Thanks for any help. Deborah
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Beer gardens never close on holidays. What a huge loss of business that would be. Usually restaurants and tourist attractions stay open on official holidays. Museums may trade off especially if the holiday is a Monday for example, then some will open on Sunday, be closed on Monday, while others will do the opposite. It is always best to check with the individual museums.

It is the stores that close, though I will bet that all those souvenir stores will be doing a booming business on the holiday too.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Ascension day is father's day in Germany. A lot of people ignore it but a fair share is out on a day trip with male friends.

Beer gardens are very, very open on this day
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mainhattengirl, since these are religious based holidays I wasn't sure what impact they would have on secular/civil activities. Deborah
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Hans, thanks, I saw that Mother's Day is May 13th but I had no idea Ascension was Father's Day--I'll be sure my husband gets some quality time at a beer garden--of course he'll have to settle for my company rather than his "pals" Deborah
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 11:54 PM

Officially it's still Ascension Day in Germany and that's the reason it's a holiday. However, it's true that in the 19th century it was used for introducing young men into male rituals - groups of men doing excursions from pub to pub (walking or by horse-drawn carriages) and heavy drinking mostly. The day is notorious for drunk guys in public and most bad accidents of the year.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, that is very interesting. I had noticed that Germany has a Mother's Day on the calendar but not a Father's Day like in the US. You have given me a different look to what a Father's Day celebration could be. With Ascension Day falling on a weekday this year maybe the possible drinking and driving will not be as prevalent. Thanks for the information, Deborah
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Ascension Day is always on a Thursday DeborahAnn. .
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Yup. It is always the Thursday 10 days before Pentecost/Whitsunday.