Climbing Snowdon

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climbing Snowdon

Given that some quarter million make the trek annually (and even more by train), it's not like climbing Snowdon is scaling Everest. That said, I still felt it a worthy goal and accomplishment and was something I wanted to try while here.

With a little planning, reasonable weather and moderate fitness, so can you.

We made a day of it yesterday. We drove to Caernarfon on Friday night (M6, ugh) and scored a deal at the Premier Inn (£39 pre-paid) and then headed up on Saturday. I walked up with my DD14 and we were eventually joined at the top by DW and DS11 who took the train. We walked down together.

[I think the two of us that walked up enjoyed it more -- the views at the top were a little clouded over compared to what we saw on the ascent.]

Topped off with a nice dinner in Conwy at our favorite restaurant (Watson's Bistro), it was a nice (early) Father's day "present".

Photos and more on my blog:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/snowdon.html

Though I enjoyed the day immensely and felt a small sense of accomplishment, I wouldn't put it in my best walk/hike in the UK category (too crowde for that!). However, if you find yourself in the area and are up for the challenge -- go for it.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:19 AM

Thanks for that, indy_dad. Great photos as usual. Have a great Fathers Day!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Glad you enjoyed your day!

It is nearly 40 years since I "conquered" Snowdon. I went up the Watkins path, then down the PYG, up over the Gyderau and down down into the Ogwen Valley via Cwm Idwal. I was young, fit and accompanied by a Mountain Rescue guy who knew the place like the back of his hand, having grown up on one of the farms there.

Was there a reason for the M6 over going cross country to the A5 from Derby?
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jane & hetismij.

Any of the routes that hinted at mountaineering/scrambling were scratched off my list (e.g. Watkin, Crib Goch, etc.) We thought it would be challenging enough without that. We got in an uncomfortable spot once on Skye and we try not to repeat that experience.

I've not taken the back roads to the A5. I have taken the A51 through Nantwich en route to Chester and was equally frustrated (very few passing places). I knew the M6 would be painful but the M56/A494/A55 would be smooth sailing if we could get there (it was). Lots of easy dining options as well. Perhaps not the best choice, but I've found things get clogged up in most any direction on Friday evening!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Great report Indy_dad and nice pictures too.
Gives one a good sense of what the climb involves, and I must say I was surprised by the crowds at the top. There must have been a queue to place a foot on the summit, lol.

Thanks again, and a nice blog too.

M
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Hi Indy Dad,

Thanks for yet another great trip report. Loved the touch with your children and your father at the end.

Great pics, as usual. I will be passing through that way to Caernarfon in a few weeks. I will NOT be climbing the mountain but on one of those much maligned coach tours which suit my needs at this point.

Excellent report…
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks for another great travel tale! I loved the play of sun and shadows in the pictures.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM

I have a photo in my study showing technical routes on Snowdon in blowing snow.

I do not enlighten my friends who, knowing that I have been up Snowdon, think of me amidst the rocks and crags.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM

We stayed at the Snowdon Ranger YHA hostel in 2007. The path you took goes right behind the hostel, and there were a couple of people staying there who planned to walk it.

You have a really nice blog!

Lee Ann
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind comments.

Lee Ann -- I used the Hostel address for my Sat Nav (GPS) to make sure I found the trail head. I very briefly considered staying there but didn't have to try to talk DW into it since I found the £39 deal at Premier Inn.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM

I continue to really enjoy reading about you and your family's interesting travels. What wonderful experiences you have had during your stay in England. And you have documented them so well that you all will be able to relive them through your photos and descriptions for a very long time to come.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM

That rate is hard to beat.

Lee Ann