Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brittany - pIctures and notes of recent trip

Feb 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I spent three weeks in Brittany last September. Pictures and notes from our trip are at: http://wasleys.org.uk/france/brittany_11/
Feb 7th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I am planning a trip to Brittany for the fall (at this point still in my dreams) but would enjoy many of the same things you visited. I will stash this report for in depth reading.
Feb 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Nice photos! Brittany is still on my "someday" list.
Feb 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM

We are headed there this summer and I enjoyed your report very much - thanks for sharing it! The pictures are lovely!
Feb 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM

I love Brittany and I loved your trip report and photos. Congratulations on having the most off the beaten path vacation in Brittany I've ever seen anyone post about. That little church in Spézet was indeed splendid. I got through week one and just peeked at week 2 and I see you hit a lot of places in week 2 that I've visited. I'm a huge fan of megaliths so that area is right up my alley.

I just love the fact that you based in tiny little villages that no one has ever heard of. That is exactly what my wife and I do. I see so many people following other travelers and staying in the same places (i.e. Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) it makes me want to scream (sorry to any of you readers who like Saint-Rémy).

I'll be back tomorrow to continue my tour but in the meantime a big thumbs up to you wasleys.
Feb 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM

Wonderful trip report! I also have been to parts of Brittany; Rennes, St.Malo and Cancale. I would love to head toward Quimper and visit some of the areas you did.. I hope to be there later this year, perhaps in October.
Feb 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Superb! I know you were disappointed in the weather, but the overcast sky helped capture the essence of La Bretagne. I hope you got some butter cookies while you were in Pleyben! MMMMM.

Thanks for sharing.
Feb 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Just made it through week 2. Looked familiar, but then you know that. Your camera did a great job capturing the engravings inside the dolmens which my camera just doesn't capture. I'll be looking forward to week 3 tomorrow night.
Feb 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Finished with the 3rd week. I was really taken away to another place with your photo of the rocks, ocean, light house and blue sky at Pointe du Pontusval. I still haven't seen the parish close Saint-Thégonnec and I must do something about that the next time I'm in the area. What a marvel.

Guerlesquin and Pen ar Varn were about as charming and quaint as little Breton villages could be. Your passion for churches is obvious and you got some great detail shots. You know the Cairn of Barnenez is one of my favorite megalithic sites.

Of course I recognized Tréguier and La-Roche-Derrien but you got into the church in the latter, which was closed when we went. I recognized several other places you went since I've been to them but you certainly hit many other places I haven't seen.

Excellent reports wasleys and I'm disappointed to see it isn't receiving more attention. I'm going to bump it a few times if it starts to sink just to try and keep it alive a little longer. And I'll certainly provide the link to people on the forums seeking info on Brittany. I'll be looking forward to your trip report for your upcoming visit.
Feb 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad people have found it useful.

@klondiketoo: Yes, weather was disappointing but on the positive side it was mainly dull rather than wet, what heavy rain there was fell mainly overnight so, given the climate of an area like Britanny, it could have been a lot worse!

@FMT:You will have gathered that we are rather anti-social and hate crowds, often feeling that tourism has destroyed some sites rather than improved them. You will probably have realised that you have been in contact with my wife over on TA (a site I now avoid) and so know our approach is rather similar to yours. Photography in the dolmens (and even some of the churches on dull days) was a real challenge. There were many wasted shots, some taking on manual focus as it was too dark for the camera to do it, some just point and guess as the viewfinder was just black. On those used there was often a lot of post-processing to get the contrast to show the engravings. Our next French trip is to the Auvergne later this year and a similar report should appear here.
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM

wasleys - It is quite obvious by your report that you seek out the quieter places, and yes, your wife and I have traded quite a few mails and we do indeed travel in a very similar manner. I gave her some basic tips about researching your Loire trip and she took the ball and ran with it and came up with some great off the beaten path stuff to visit. I'm sure you are quite looking forward to your next visit and I'll be looking forward to the report when you come back. Happy travels!
Feb 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM
blh

We are headed to Brittany for a week in September and hope to see many of the same villages. It was so nice to see your wonderful photos. I have bookmarked your website to refer to and help in our planning. We are staying in the little village of Guemene-sur-Scorff (close to Pontivy) and were excited to see your photographs of the village. Thanks so much for sharing your website - we are enjoying it. The interactive map is great!
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
ESW

I (the wife) wrote three detailed reports to go with the website. They can be read here:
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1980
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1981
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1982