Reload this Page >

Trip report with photos - Paris, Normandy

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi gang,

First, thanks for all the help that helped make my trip smooth and a great pleasure!

Two days in Paris, the rest of the trip was spent in Normandy with a few hours in Brittany. Stayed overnight in Arromanches and Mont Saint Michel. I came back March 31

The best parts were the night bicycle tour of Paris, the mus�e d'Orsay and the times spent communicatng with people who knew as little English as I know French.

My 5 day trip report, with about 80 photos is posted at http://mightymac.org/fr01.htm

Keith
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Keith, I loved your pictures. Thanks for sharing. And I also convert euros to chocolate at the airport.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM

You've got some good photos there. Especially impressive were the night shot of the Mont and the shot of Notre Dame interior.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:31 AM

Very nice report!! and the pictures were GREAT!! How do you get your "night" shots to come out that well?? I always end up with blurring at best....
OTOH: I don't use a tripod....did you have to use one to get these nice shots?
Thanks in advance and Best Wishes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:53 AM

I really enjoyed your trip report and your photos. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:57 AM
SLHogan

Keith:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip. Your photos were absolutely amazing. I loved the ones of Paris at night.
Thanks for sharing!

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

Keith

We went to Normandy in December, I have some of the same pictures. Your report was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoyed reading it very much.

I think you have inspired me to keep a journal on our next trip.

See ya later
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:31 AM

Hi Keith:
Great, clear photos! They are wonderful photos of a magical place, you did a nice job! I noticed you stayed at the Hotel Kensington. I walked past that hotel the last time I was there and got a brochure and was thinking of staying there the next time I go back. How was it? Can you give me some details re: rates, any continental breakfast? etc.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the nice comments.

I had no tripod on this trip, would simply set the camera down and set the timer to wait 2 seconds after I tripped the shutter. Other times when there is almost enough light, I will set the shutter for 1/30 or 1/20 of a second and hold as still as I can.

Regarding the Hotel Kensington, the rooms were extremely tiny, which I expected, but clean and well maintained. I stayed there for the price (50 euros for a single with shower) and to be close to where the bicycle tour would end at close to midnight. Breakfast was available for an additional fee, but I didn't try it. The desk staff was quiet helpful, also I booked smoothly by email. I have no problem recommending it, but probably will stay in a livelier neighborhood the next time.

Keith
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:24 AM

Your pictures are fantastic! Thanks for sharing Keith. And the bike ride in Paris sounds so fun, maybe that will be on my list for next time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Kay

Keith, your trip report with pictures was just what I needed today. The pictures were just wonderful. Unless Air Canada has other plans, I leave for Paris on the 4th of May. I am planning on a trip to Normandy, so this was very timely. Thanks for sharing. You did a great job. Kay
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:43 AM

Fabulous photos! You brought back some wonderful memories of my trip to Paris, Bayeux, the D-day beaches and Arromanches. Some of your photos looked exactly like ones in my album. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:55 AM

Keith:

I have just wasted an hour of valuable work time looking at your wonderful travel pictures/commentary.

Great site!

Jennie
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM

Keith,

Thanks for posting your excellent trip report. Those are GREAT photos - especially the interiors!!

Just a small note: the train you took from Paris to Caen was most definitely not a TGV, just a normal train (and a pretty old one at that). The one from Rennes to Paris was a TGV however - I'm not surprised you found it more comfortable - didn't you also notice it was traveling MUCH faster?

Andre
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:23 AM

Keith - As with everyone else, thank you for sharing your photos with us. They are great. What kind of a camera did you use? Your pictures turned out a lot better than mine. Also my night shots tend to just be a big blur. Any hints for the amateur photographer?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:54 AM

I am impressed! Thank you for giving us a glimpse of your trip. Makes me eager for our trip in June!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:30 PM

Great photo keith..Cant wait to go back in Paris again!!! Nice report also....Just the way I like it..simple, short and concise..
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM

great photos, keith.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:30 PM

Keith: Thanks for the information re: the Hotel Kensington. I am surprised you found the neighborhood to be quiet. As I recall it is very close to, if not nearly opposite, Les Invalides and a short walk down to the Tour Eiffel. I found the location to be very central to nearly all the monuments in Paris. Compared to where I had stayed in the 8th Arr (financial district/Metro Miromesnil) which felt out of the way and certainly not in walking distance to the Champs-Elysees. Anyway, I will definitely look into it on my next trip in July. Thanks again for the input.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:16 PM

Keith: Wow! Thanks for the great pix and report! It was so nice of you to share; great blend of info and general commentary.

I can hardly wait to get over there (Sept). This makes it a little easier.

Thanks for the "fix".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -