Search

Civitavecchia Train Station

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
yim
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civitavecchia Train Station

Our cruise will return to the port at Civitavecchia. How far is the train station from the port? Is there any shuttle bus from the port to the train station? Is this a good station to take a train?
Please advise.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM

donnow bout shuttles but i waz there in Jan and it's a very short (about 1/2 mi at most) flat walk along the wide boardwalk from cruise terminal to Civitavecchia train station, a small station with a few platforms - perfectly safe it that's your concern - yes a good station to hop a train to Rome (or in the other direction Pisa and Cinque Terre)

If you're a'tall mobil than the transfer by foot is a snap. hourly or more trains to Rome do don't worry bouth schedules - jest shoe up.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM
ira

Hi Y,

Civitivecchia Centrale is about 1.5 km from the docks.

No shuttle bus.

>Is this a good station to take a train?
To where?

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM

There actually ARE cruise ships which will run a shuttle bus from where the ship is docked to the <b>entrance</b> of the port area.

That entrance is about a ten/fifteen minute walk to the railroad station. As PalQ has indicated, the walk is along sidewalks and is flat.

Trains to Rome (somehow I assume that is probably where you are headed) leave frequently and often stop at San Pietro station in Vatican City prior to arriving at termini in Rome. The trip takes an hour or so depending on the type of train.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Looks as if little has changed in the year or so since that report was written.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
yim
Original Poster

We are going to the Rome Termini and change train to Venice. Is the civitavecchia station really busy when the ships dock? I cannot purchase the tickets ahead of time because I don't know what time we will get off the ship. Will the tickets be sold out on the same day?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM

as most of these are regional trains reservations are not possible. i rode these trains four times recently and they were sparsely full - lots of trains put angst to rest - can always board these trains since reservations are not required before boarding like on many Italian trains. There could be a few IC+ trains on this route that would require reservations but not many.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
yim
Original Poster

We will arrive Rome a few days before we board the cruise and plan to purchase our post cruise train ticket from Rome to Venice at Rome. Do they charge commission at the train stations or the ticket agencies?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Not sure about travel agencies but not at stations. In January i played around a lot with the automatic ticket machines in Italian stations and they were idiot-proof (i could work them easily) - all in English and in about a minute you'll have your ticket and seat reservation. Credit cards work. So easy and can avoid the oft long lines at ticket windows. You can buy tickets at any train station machine - in Civitavecchia for example.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Bookmarking, thanks!