Place to Stay in East Neuk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are now tweaking our trip with the children and have decided on our last day that we will leave Crieff and drive to St. Andrews and the fishing villages of East Neuk. Will probably be flying out of EDI to London the next day at about 10 a.m. (haven't booked yet so that's not set in stone). Was thinking we would stay in Kirkcaldy or somewhere like that (the Belvedere looks nice). Any suggested locations or actual B&Bs or hotels? How bad is the traffic over the Forth bridge on a Wednesday morning in August?

Thanks!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Kirkcaldy may be in Fife but it's a million miles away from St Andrews and the picturesque fishing villages of the East Neuk. It's just another ugly industrial town with its share of social problems and nothing of much interest to most visitors. If yoiu want a much more pleasant overnight stay, opt for St Andrews, Anstruther, Crail or one of the other villages on the coast, not Kirkcaldy.

I'd also be a bit worried about the drive to EDI the next morning. Your 10:00 departure puts you on the Forth road bridge slap bang in the middle of the morning rush hour, so expect major delays. If it were me (taking into account previous experience of actually missing a flight due to congestion on the bridge) I'd leave the St Andrews area no later than 06:00 to catch a 10:00 flight out of EDI. If this is way too early for you, then it might pay you to drive down to the airport area the previous evening and stay in an airport hotel - there are several at different price ranges. Not ideal, but hassle free.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Gordon--
Many thanks. Your comments confirm my fears--that Kirkcaldy is not a great spot for a stopover and that traffic will be horrific.

We will either push on to the airport for our overnight or I may switch my itinerary to do East Neuk and St. Andrews our first day out of Edinburgh (on the way to Crieff) and then do Loch Katrine/Callendar/Doune on the last day and stay in Stirling or Linlithgow or somewhere like that the night before the airport (Stirling's probably too far...with traffic).
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would do your new reversed route w/ Fife at the front and Callander/Stirling at the end. (and there are mUCH better places than Kirkaldy whichever end of the itinerary)

Stirling is definitely not too far to drive - And w/ the time of your flight the traffic won't be too bad really. If you want to be at the airport by 0800 you would be on the road before the commute traffic is really heavy. "Rush Hour" there is later than you may be used to in the States. I personally wouldn't have a problem leaving Stirling around 0630-0700 -- unless there are some road works or something.

But if you don't want the hassle - just do your sightseeing all day Tuesday, have dinner and then head down to EDI, drop the car and stay the last night either near the airport or in the city center. There is easy bus connection from central Edinburgh ti EDI. You won't lose out on any "touring time".
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM

For why does the engine ging too toot
Is it feart tae ging in the tunnel?
For why is the engine nae pit oot
when the rain rins doon the funnel?

Whit'll we hae for oor tea tonight?
A finnin or a haddie?
Ye ke yersel, by the queer like smell
The next stap's Kircaddy.

Reverse. Don't leave yourself the brdige to cross before you leave. DON'T stay in Kirkcaldy.