Cinque Terre Trails Condition Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone share what portion of the trails are open and possibly a schedule for any left to open?
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM

This site gives updated information on trail conditions.

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/s...sp?id_lingue=2

The situation changes frequently, so check close to your travel time. If you're thinking of hiking in the winter, I would think hard about it.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 11:06 AM

I think it's important to note that the site says those time are for people with strong hiking experience, appropriate footwear and in good weather. If any of those are not true - rethink the whole thing.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM

The lower trails, which are mostly closed right now, don't require any special boots or abilities. Even some of the upper oneshe, specifically the green ones on the map, are pretty easy as well. The blue trail, marked as "touristic" is the easiest of all.

The problem is that in the winter, it's not predictable as to which trails will be open more than a short time in advance. It's the risk of landslides that requires the park to close trails, and that risk is always higher in winter. The upper trails, which don't have much land above them to slide, are the least likely to be closed.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 12:27 PM

I myself wouldn't consider going there in the winter.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM

bvlenci, Can you tell me what you think about going there in late May? We are planning trip to the area then and was thinking of including Cinque terre.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Late May would be perfect. We went in early May last year and though some of the trails were closed due to damage from the mudslides it was fabulous. Take the train, if it is foggy in the early morning you can't see much from the ferry and it is pricey and the rt does not run very late after a day of sightseeing and hiking. We stayed in La Spezia and caught the ferry first thing in the morning, 25 rt. It was foggy and we went to the last village but by the time we were ready to go back there was no more ferry schedule so had to pay to take the train. Very limited schedule. Great villages, food and views.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - We have not picked a time of year to go. open to suggestions on the best time for the trails. We are experienced hikers.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Late May should be good, but it's almost impossible to predict the weather. In the past two years, May was very rainy and chilly compared to the average, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in the Cinque Terre in that kind of weather. Other than hiking, which wouldn't be much fun, and maybe a little risky in the rain, there's absolutely nothing to do in bad weather in the Cinque Terre. However, in other years, May has absolutely splendid weather, maybe even a heat wave. In May, the Cinque Terre is, unfortunately, already overrun by tourists, including hordes of day trippers. Few of them get to the high trails, though.

You might consider the Amalfi Coast, which also has some good hiking trails. Being further south, there's less risk of bad weather (although no guarantees), and there are more things to do in bad weather.