Cinque Terre trails closed?

Jan 29th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre trails closed?

Will be in CT in early June.
Staying in Monterosa Al Mare.

Would like to train/boat to the southern end of CT and hike back to our hotel.
Will this be doable?
Any trails still closed?
Would like nothing more than moderate difficulty (want our fit parents in mid 60's to be able to make the trek with us).
Jan 29th, 2017, 09:28 AM

The trails between Monterosso and Corniglia are open, but north of that, they're closed, and have been for over five years.

Here's the source for trail information. The Cinque Terre lower (easier) trails have numbers beginning with 592. The ones with a red circle are closed. If you click on a trail name, you'll see full details of that trail.

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/E...ri-outdoor.php
Jan 29th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Would starting in Corniglia and ending in Monterossa be a decent hike? Maybe stopping in Vernazza for lunch?
Jan 29th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Have you looked at the trail descriptions on that site I indicated? I believe it would be a rather long hike from Corniglia to Monterosso.
Jan 29th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes. Looks like 1.5 hrs + 2 hrs, so quite doable to do at a lesurely pace in a day.
I'm more concerned with if it would be too strenuous for some of our group. They've all climbed the Duomo in Rome and have done some trail hiking in the US
Jan 29th, 2017, 11:32 AM

I think it's pretty level. Why don't you ask them if they would be comfortable with walking four hours or more? (The trail times are probably calculated with young, experienced hikers in mind.)

If they're all tuckered out when you get to Vernazza, you could take the train or boat the rest of the way.
Jan 29th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Alandavid, I hiked the Cinque Terre from Riomaggiore to Vernazza with my two sons when I was in my mid 50s, a regular but not zealous gym-goer. I recall the leg from Cornelia to Vernazza to have been fairly challenging, not because of elevation gain but because of the uneven and sometimes deep (the trickiest part) stone steps on parts of the trail. That said, it was one of the best days of my life. I'd suggest your group take a look at some youtubes to get a better idea.
Jan 29th, 2017, 02:57 PM

My husband and I stayed in Monterosso al Mare in 2012 and hiked from there to Corniglia. We spaced it out, took lots of rests to take photos and had a very enjoyable day. We aren't fitness freaks by any means, but do a fair amount of walking in our everyday lives (albeit not with the amount of stairs). The stairs are the killers and the section between Vernazza and Corniglia is a little harder, mostly because the paths are a bit narrower, a bit rougher and a little less trodden than the track between Monterosso and Vernazza. We stopped in Vernazza (not the village, but above the village on the way to Corniglia) for about an hour at a lovely cafe overlooking the town of Vernazza. We sat under an umbrella on one of the terraces sipping on an icy cold sparkling water, which was welcomed on such a warm day; the spectacular views weren't bad either. We ended up in Corniglia for lunch. Not sure whether we were just starving, or whether that pasta was actually the best pasta of the trip, but it certainly hit the spot. By the time we looked around after lunch, we were ready for siesta back at the accommodation, so we caught the train back ending up there around 3pm.

So glad we did that hike on our first day as the weather turned bad for the rest of our trip and all the paths, as well as the boats, were closed. For that reason we caught the train and bus to Portovenere and hiked one of the higher tracks from there to Riomaggiore. We went through Telegrafo and Campiglia along the cliff face, with sensational views of the Ligurian coast. Now that was a difficult, and long, hike.. An unforgettable experience, with some of the most beautiful views that we did not have to share with anyone else, but exceptionally long and included some very rough terrain, including crawling across a rock face.. We probably left a little too late as it took longer than anticipated to get to Portovenere via train and bus. We were absolutely exhausted and hungry by the end (having missed lunch time in Campiglia) and I remember arriving into Riomaggiore on dusk.. We slept (and ate) well that night! If any of the tracks close, I would recommend it, but I would give these pieces of advice..
1. Leave early (get to Portovenere no later than 9am)
2. Pack plenty of water as there is only one place to get some on the hike, a few snacks would also be useful because, there is only one restaurant and one snack bar
3. Ensure you arrive in Campiglia in plenty of time before the restaurant closes for lunch
4. Bring extra batteries for your camera and plenty of space on your memory card.. You will need it
Jan 29th, 2017, 04:41 PM

I think the flat trails or Lovers Lane between Riomaggiore and Manarola and Manarola and Corniglia are closed because of mudslides from 2013.

I last visited in June 2015 and they said 2017 or 2018 before it would be opened again.

There are a variety of trails which go up from one of the villages up to vantage points overlooking the coastal village.

Actually the national park service conducts guided hikes for a pretty nominal fee. Looks like they no longer maintain a blog, which listed these guided hikes.

However, in the page for the Cinque Terre card, they refer to "guided visits":

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/E...terre-card.php

Might be worth emailing them to see if they're still interested. One of the hikes I took was from the top of Rigomaggiore where we boarded a bus and went up to a small hamlet above the village. From there you could look down on the village and the ocean, especially one of the churches up there had great panoramic views.

It obviously wasn't as hard since you weren't claiming up. But actually descending uneven steps wasn't that easy either. You need good hiking shoes with good fit (so your toes don't get squished against the front of the shoes when going downhill).

You don't have to get a CT card though to do the guided hikes. I didn't get one, instead found a way to get a weekly train pass for trains between the 5 villages from the kiosks and then for the 2 hikes I did with the Park Service, I paid a couple of Euros, including Euros to take the bus up to Telegrafo, from which we hiked down to Santuario di Nostra Signora di Montenero and then back down to Riomaggiore.

A good flat hike in the area would be to go up to Santa Margherita Ligure by train and walking along the coastal road to Portofino. Very scenic and you can return by bus to SML to take the train back to Monterosso.

While in Portofino, you can take a boat trip around the promontory or hike up to Castello Brown, which has great overhead views of the Portofino harbor.
Jan 30th, 2017, 01:34 AM

I think the flat trails or Lovers Lane between Riomaggiore and Manarola and Manarola and Corniglia are closed because of mudslides from 2013.

There was a devastating flood in the Cinque Terre in autumn of 2011, with much damage and some deaths. The lower trails between Monterosso and Corniglia have been closed since then. I've read that it's not so much the damage done to the trails, as the risk of future landslides. It's fairly easy to repair damage, but to meliorate the risk of landslides would be a major operation, and I don't see anything being done to that end.