Choosing Paris Apartment

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
sap
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing Paris Apartment

Which of these apartments would you personally prefer and why?

DH and I are trying to make a decision from the following options and are discussing the relative merits of each. Any input from those with opinions/experience about the apts and neighborhoods, etc., is very welcome. (It'll be the two of us traveling with our teen son next summer.)

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p83270
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p711429
http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/24752.htm
http://www.vrbo.com/105889
http://www.vrbo.com/35838

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM

ttt
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM

The best advice is to stay close to the things you are interested in. For me that will always be the Latin quarter because I love the atmosphere, but its not everyone's taste. Also be close to a metro stop. Google map each address, look at street view and make sure its bang next door to your favourite thing about Paris.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
sap
Original Poster

Yup, Fashionista, that's good advice. I've done that (love Google street view) and the Latin Quarter is my preferred locale for that reason (choices 2 & 3 above).

I do really love the decor & view of the rue Raspail apt, though, which is definitely tempting me. She has another great website of that place with videos.
www.allure-apart.com

Decisions, decisions!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM

The first apartment has A/C and a balcony, both nice to have in summer. It looks brighter than the others as well, but I don't like the looks of the bed. It appears that the person on the inside might have to crawl over the other person to get out of bed. I'd probably choose #1....also nice that it has an elevator.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM

I think the Latin Qtr one would probably be a good idea--I think that's no. 3.

The first one says "St Germain", but it isn't. It isn't clear where it is exactly, but the map centers on an area in-between Raspail and Denfert metro stops. I like it myself and like that area, but I usually stay around there. I don't think it would suit most people. Also, if it's closer to Denfert, I don't think the restaurant options are as good.

The first VRBO one (near Sorbonne) I just don't like for some reason -- I think because the living room appears to have no windows. I don't like that. I like the last one a lot, and I also like that location. I don't like fake double beds myself, but it might not bother you (ie, two twins pushed together).

I like the one in St Germain on St Andre des Arts, I think the PP one. That would be a very convenient location and it is inside a courtyard, so I presume would be quiet.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
sap
Original Poster

Thanks, Judy and Christina. Those comments are very helpful. The first one is actually at 253 Blvd. Raspail right next to the metro, which I think is a pretty good location, but we'd have to take the metro most everywhere. Other than the bed against the wall, which I thought was a bit awkward, too, it's pretty cute.

I am leaning toward the two on/near St-Andre-des-Arts. Hopefully, the owners will get back to me soon with the rest of the details.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM

We have stayed on rue St. Andres des Arts....great location!! It happened to be hot while we were there and, inside the courtyard, we couldn't seem to get any air moving into the apartment.
The location of both #2 & 3 are great....in fall or spring, they'd be my first choice. When you say summer, I don't know if you mean early June, which would be fine without AC or July/August. I'm just a really hot weather wimp.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
sap
Original Poster

It'll be early June - so hopefully not too hot, yet. That area seems perfect for my plans. I'm a little worried about street noise as I think that 2nd one might face over the street instead of the courtyard, but there's always earplugs (have to use them anyway for DH's snoring.)
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
cw

I like the second and third choices, though the second is on the third (or fourth?) floor with no mention of an elevator. That may not be a problem for you.

The third apartment has been rented by Fodorites. I remember the piano. If you do an advanced text search for Francine Carpon, you'll find mentions.

Of course, the first is stunning (except for the bed) but it's a little away from the central sites, especially if this is your first visit to Paris.

We were in Paris at the beginning of June a couple of years ago, and the weather was warm one day, and fairly cool (50s-60s) thereafter. So you may not need any a/c. But you never know what the weather will do.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM

St-Andre-des-Arts - stayed on that road last year as well. The food shops are superb with an amazing cheese shop near to you. (Cheese is of course a deciding factor)
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:31 AM

Someone on this forum stayed at Francine's apartment, the one on Saint Andres des Arts, and loved it. It was probably a couple of years ago. That's an apartment that gets discounted well in August.

I've stayed on St.Andres des Arts more than once and didn't have problem with noise and my bedroom faced the street. I always pack foam earplugs to Paris anyhow. I had #122/vacationinparis.com that was located on St.Andres des Arts. I've also stayed in that neighborhood since 1981.

The supermarket is nearby as it's right on rue de Seine at rue Buci. St.Andres des Arts dumps into rue de Buci. And there are plenty of food related places on rue de Buci. There's also a laundromat on rue de Seine between rue de Seine and rue Jacob, and I think there's another one even closer to rue St.Andres des Arts. I don't remember if that apartment has a washer/dryer or not. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM

On Google Streetview, keep in mind that the views are out of date. We stayed on rue des Ecoles and were concerned that street work was going on. Of course, by the time we arrived it was completed. But it can go the other way around.