Search

Choosing between 2 Rome apartment locations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing between 2 Rome apartment locations

I'm trying to decide between these two apartment locations:

Rosa Apartment in Piazza della Rovere with a view of the Tiber, 110 euro: http://www.rentalinrome.com/rosaapar...artmentmap.jpg
http://www.rentalinrome.com/rosaapar...aapartment.htm

Daisy Apartment in Trastevere, 90 euro:
http://www.rentalinrome.com/daisy/daisymap.jpg
http://www.rentalinrome.com/daisy/daisy.htm

Obviously the Rosa apartment is more expensive and has more beds than the 2 of us singles need, but it looks fabulous for the price. Is it in as good of a location as the Daisy which is in central Trastevere? I need public transit (not taxi, preferably metro) somewhat easily available to Termini as well as the airport. Is this area near St. Peter's very touristy?
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Rosa apartment is in a somewhat busy bus area as there is a very large underground bus hub (terminal Giancolo). The area is not as attractive as Trastevere. If you zoom in once on this link, you can see the terminal listed next to a white box designating the 115 and 116 small electric bus stops.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=3

The electric lines run through the historic center where other transport is not allowed.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

The Daisy apartment appears to be on the very busy viale Trastevere. Tram #8 runs up this street to Largo Argentina (close to Piazza Navona).
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5

I would research noise issues for both apartments. I prefer the Trastevere location as I like the Trastevere area and lots of restaurant options.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM

I'm always suspect when they list a balcony but don't show it....
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I asked about a couple other places a bit further south on Viale Trastevere, but I'm not too sure of this area looking at street view on Google Maps - seems to have a lot of graffiti and cars, is the street loud?
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM

Any place on the Viale Trastevere is going to be noisier than on the streets just off of it. As for appearances, yes, much of the street-level is not very attractive, but it's still a good place to stay.

The other place has no elevator. So that makes it a little less attractive. Be advised that the second floor in Italy equals the third floor in the US. They start counting on the 1st floor up from the ground floor. And the flights are generally very long as the rooms tend to have very high ceilings. If you are in good shape and don't mind hauling luggage and groceries up,, then it's OK.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaving aside the pros and cons of the apartments themselves, both areas are convenient for sightseeing. I would probably give the Daisy the edge--closer to some nice piazzas in Trastevere, even though the apartment itself is on a busy street. But if you're not looking for luxury and are reasonably fit, either apartment would suit.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

I ended up booking this loft apartment with Sleep in Italy:
https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...d_appartam=568
Look at that terrace!
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice apartment, and I think you'll enjoy this location. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM

I think you'll love the location. Great restaurants in the immediate area. My favorite is Alle Frate Di Trastevere, just a few blocks away. The Otto (tram #8), the #3 and H buses run up V. Trastevere and will get you to many of the areas or attractions you'll visit or at least to another bus stop. The www.atac.roma.it is a great resource to find which bus (or multiple transport options) will take you to where to go. www.viamichelin.com provides good walking directions.

We stayed on Viale Trastevere last year & it can be noisy, but we just shut the windows and turned on the AC. I found Rome itself for the most part covered in graffiti and certainly not the cleanest city in the world, but who cares - it's Rome!!

If you're flying into FCO you can take the train to the Trastevere Station. You can take a taxi to the apartment or take the 3, H or Otto up Viale Trastevere. Get off around San Francesca a Ripa and it's an easy walk. (The Trastevere station is closer to where you're staying and cheaper than taking the train to Termini.) I think this year a ticket is about 8 Euro vs. 11 (maybe 14?)Euro to Termini.

If bus/tram, don't forget to buy a ticket at the station and validate when you get on. Not having a validated ticket will get you a 50 Euro fine if the "bus" police catch you. They boarded buses/metro exits multiple times last year & it was pretty comical watching people trying to weasel their way out of a ticket. Get daily or mutiple day passes - they are so convenient & you only have to validate them once.

Have fun & if you're there in October, you'll see us walking around!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Great tips! If I'm coming from Siena, according to Trenitalia, it looks like I can take a bus to Tiburtina and then take a local train to Trastevere Station. Someone said there is no metro stop at Trastevere, so is this just another normal train? I may also be coming from Florence, so I assume there is a train or metro to Trastevere Station from there.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:11 AM

There is no metro stop in Trastevere. You can take the train from Siena to Termini or Tiburtina. The trip takes about 4 hours which includes changing trains in Chiusa. There are also trains from Florence to Trastevere, but you need to change trains in Termini to get to the station in Trastevere.

I would recommend Termini over Tiburtina because you can take the H from termini to Viale Trastevere. Tiburtina requires 3 buses- the 61 to the 60 to the H. (again, www.atac.roma.it is a good site to use to find out how to get from point A to point B via bus and metro). We took the H many times both with and without our rolling duffels and carry ons.

There is a Sena bus (www.sena.it) from Siena that takes you to Tiburtina in about 3.5 hours. Not familiar with buses to or from Florence to Rome, but I'm sure there is one.